Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do some attached VIs open as plain text?

(This is on Chrome)

Clicking on virtually any attached VI simply downloads it. But there are exceptions. For example if I click on the attachment in this post, the VI opens as text inside the browser, which is unexpected.

Of course I can "right-click...download..." to get the VI, but I am puzzled about what's going on. Why the odd exception here? Why is the browser confused?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,908 Views)

Hi Christian,

Do you ever see this issue on newer posts? The one from your example is from 13 years ago, and after doing some research I see the same issue in another post from you from 2004. And yet, other attachments from the same time range, or even in the same topic, work as expected. Also, the same attachments work as expected in Firefox (save pop-up appears).

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,881 Views)

I remember seeing it (rarely) before, always on older posts. Do you see any differences in the HTML or could it be something in the file itself (e.g. particular LabVIEW version)?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,879 Views)

Actually, in the example I provided, it seems all of the attachment types (.xls, .jpg) are not functioning properly when using Chrome. This topic is actually from a time prior to when we were using the community platform we're currently on. It is possible that it's an issue from when the topic was migrated over.

My recommendation is to keep using the workaround (right click, save link as) and please let us know if you see the issue in recent topics.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,871 Views)

Thanks. At this point it is mostly scientific curiosity on what is actually happening. 🙂 We like logical explanations!

If it is really only on chrome, it might be worth reporting to their team for investigation. Could just be a simple bug...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,865 Views)