Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong with writing a "8" followed by ")"?

Hi,

I just wanted to write some pseudocode here using a "code box" with a text containing "8)".

When editing the message the editor shows that text, but after posting the message both chars are killed from the text - WITHOUT any notification!

What's the difference between "8)" and "8 )"? Why is that space in between needed?

Test:

8)
8 )

While editing:

Ok, here it works as expected. Why didn't it work in the other thread/message?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,677 Views)

Could it have been treated as a shortcut to an emoji?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,664 Views)

Hi RavensFan,

maybe, but in the linked thread everytime I posted the message to combination "8)" was simply deleted from text and no emoji was shown. That's why I had to put a space in between.

And here the same combination works as expected…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,643 Views)

I don't know if I got any different behavior in that thread than this thread.  I'm going to test that now.

😎

8 )

I tried sending a message in that thread and got interesting results.  The "8 )" (without space) looked okay in the edit box, and when posted it gave me a sunglasses emoji and looked like this.

In the end, both threads showed the same.  I had no idea that was shortcut for a sunglasses emoji

Maybe your issue with that thread was some weird browser or cache issue.  (By the way, I'm using Firefox 85.0.1

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,633 Views)

Update to this issue as posted in this message.

After writing "8)" in the code section for the first time it was deleted from the posted message. After editing the message and writing "8)" again into the code section it was not deleted anymore.

There should be a more unique behaviour, either

1. Always delete any possible emoji codes from code sections!
  2. Don't delete possible emoji codes from code section at all!

I would opt for option 2…

Another issue:

When posting there always appears an additional linefeed before the code section, even when I delete it while editing a message…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,625 Views)

Hi @GerdW ,

There is some odd behavior here. I'm going to open a ticket and see if we can get it worked out. Thank you for pointing it out.

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,598 Views)

Hi Mark,

@markwni wrote:

There is some odd behavior here.

More odd behaviour, probably related:

I just posted a message with an emoji code included. After pressing the "Post" button the page reloads an shows my message without the emoji. So I choose "Edit message" the change the emoji code and this is what I see now:

The message in the editor window now shows the emoji, but the "current version" message below still shows without emoji. (Both instances marked by red circle.)

Does the content server take its (quite long) amount of time to convert text into emojis?

P.S. several minutes later: the message itself is still shown without the emoji, but the emoji is visible in the editor when editing the message…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 7 of 11
(2,538 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Mark,

@markwni wrote:

There is some odd behavior here.

More odd behaviour, probably related:

I just posted a message with an emoji code included. After pressing the "Post" button the page reloads an shows my message without the emoji. So I choose "Edit message" the change the emoji code and this is what I see now:

I was just about to report the same thing.

... and if you try to insert an emoji using the menu, the popup is empty and offscreen:

altenbach_1-1613684107911.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,520 Views)

😀 are back. 🎉 

The code issue with 8 ) still exists and continues to be investigated.

Community Manager
NI Community
Message 9 of 11
(2,465 Views)

Hi Mark,

@markwni wrote:
The code issue with 8 ) still exists and continues to be investigated.

More issues with emojis when I wrote this message.

In the first try the "description)" turned into a "description😞".

Then I edited the message and deleted the emoji and wrote "description )" with a space between "n" and ")". This resulted in the text as expected.

Then I edited the message again and deleted the space before the ")" and got the text as expected…

You really need to check that "automatic emoji" handling!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,455 Views)