Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIte not remembering what threads I have seen

Threads that I viewed are appearing as if they have new updates but they do not.

Very irritating since I depend on threads shown in my profile to alert me if there was a new update.

IE 11.0.9....

Please fix it.

Edit:

This image illustrates the problem.

Updated threads.png

In those two thread I highlighted, they both appear as if there has been an update BUT they also indicate the most recent additions where by me. How could I be the last contributor but the thread is updated since I last looked?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,264 Views)

It fixed itself now.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,258 Views)

Hi Ben,

I'm glad it's working now. Please let us know if you run into it again.

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,246 Views)

I saw that as well on the 19th right around the same time Ben posted the issue.  It seemed to resolve itself after about an hour or so.

Message 4 of 10
(3,228 Views)

After bill moved this thread it started happening again.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,224 Views)

Let me please explain why this problem is a pain to frequent fliers.

When we are involved in more than one thread, they "highlighted" font tells us which threads have been updated since we last looked. That applies on both the LV forum main board and the threads that show up in my profile.

If we post and someone else replies shortly after we do, the conversation is almost real-time. If we are reviewing the LV forum (when I am looking for trouble) I CAN see that it is marked as bold and my names is shown as the last contributor. I can live with that if I remember to look who did the last post (but I should not have to look the forum should work right!).

But more often that not I am busy at work and I only check for updates by looking at my profile or the list of my posts. In both of those views I can not see who posted last. I have to "poke at it" to see what has changed. I do the checking when I am getting up for a break and I do not have much time.

When I am teased into looking at thread that has NOT been updated, I have to wait for the page to update and my chance to contribute in more productive ways is squandered.

So if you appreciate what the frequent flyers contribute to the forum, fix this bug so that it does not waste our time.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,222 Views)

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. We understand why this functionality is important to you. This sort of issue has occurred before, but it always seemed to resolve itself. We can reopen the investigation to see if there is anything that can be done.

In the meantime, if you subscribe to a topic but have email notifications turned off, you might find the Notification Feed useful.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/notificationfeed/page

This should more accurately update you as to when there is activity within a topic.

Thanks,
Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,217 Views)

Typically, the only time I've seen issues with read messages were still marked as having new messages were anything I read after having moved a thread.  After waiting a long enough period of time, the messages will become correctly marked.  I feel like it takes about 20 minutes for that to occur, but that is just a rough guess.   I've never seen my messages not getting marked promptly as read if I didn't move anything recently, even if someone else has.  At least not until yesterday morning.  So that was a rare exception.

Referring to Ben's use case of the forums, his sounds very similar to mine.  And is also the reason why I miss the icons on threads that show which ones I had replied into.  Prior to the forum updates a couple years ago, after refreshing the board, I would first look for any new ones that I had also replied into.  Only then would I go look into other new ones that I had been only paying attention to.

Now the only way I can see if there are new messages in threads I have replied to is to go to my profile and see if any of my recent messages are now bold.  I'll only click back a couple pages.  This means if there is a really old thread that I replied to farther back than the last couple weeks and it now has a new message, I won't see it unless I happen to stumble upon it again.  I've never turned on subscriptions because with as many messages and threads I've been involved in, my inbox would blowup with message notifications.

Message 8 of 10
(3,214 Views)

It happened again about 6:30 this morning, but this time with my Android.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,179 Views)

Hi Ben,

We have confirmed this is a bug in our community system and have escalated it to our community provider accordingly. Unfortunately, there is not a solution available at this time.

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,169 Views)