Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations, Suggestions and Positive Comments to improve the Discussion Forums

I didn't want to read nearly 180 posts in the Questions about the new forum / website layout which is why I started this thread.  Let's see if we can contribute ideas and suggestions to improve this place.  No idea or suggestion should be criticized. 

Sorry if many of what will follow has already been addresses elsewhere, and it probaby has.  Let's see if a game plan can be put together to let us know where the suggestions are going.

I recommend one suggestion per post so that it is easier to track.

Since I started this thread, I will begin:

A new feature that does not appeal to my type of "desired" site, it the fact that when clicking on my icon or forum designation that it offers a number of selections.  I would prefer clicking on my designation or avatar and it would bring me to my profile page.  From there, I could easily navigate to other portions of the forum, but those wil be for another separate post.

Message 1 of 10
(3,749 Views)

Part 2 of the profile comment above would be to have all selection categories as hyperlinks in a toolbar above or along the top of the profile pae.  From the profile page, I would select any of the selections shown in the image below:

Since I prefer seeing all my recent posts, keeping my profile page mostly for that purpose would be most efficient for me.  I think other "power users" of this forum enjoyed the previous behavior.  I now receive a notification for both PM (messages) and for Kudos.  Although receiving Kudos is nice, it can be disturbing when you do not know whether the notificaion is for a Personal Message or a Kudo, so the numeric indicator is more cumbersome than useful.

Comments anyone?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,744 Views)

I admire the desire from NI to assist those who are visually impared, such as myself.  My vision is not what it used to be...  that's no secret.. (hint: eye patch on right eye of avatar)   Thank you...

However, I personally prefer more efficient use of real-estate than using large spaces for a given purpose.   I await the response to questions in anoher thread to find out if the large areas are due to support of the forum for both PC, tablets and smartphones.  If it is not, is there a reason that the latest post headings take so much room?  A single line for each thread is fine.  Using bold characters to identify those that have new posts in them is wonderful.

I like the simple things.  Let's see if I am a sole soul with strange tastes in websites.  Comments?

Message 3 of 10
(3,738 Views)

I know it's been brought up before...  I just happened to be sitting next to the Gentlemen who posted the comment when the Great Migration occurred.  However, since it has not changed, I will repost in this thread.  Sorry to sound like a broken record (already defined).

Why all the blank spaces on either side of the pages?  It causes a significant loss in real-estate.  The width of the white spaces on either side of the area of interest is relative to the width of the browser, which means as I widen the browser to gain more real-estate, the white space border also widens which somewhat defeats the purpose of widening the width of the browser.

Is there a special reason that I am not aware of which requires such a border?

Enough posts for now.  I invested more time than allotted for today on positive suggestions to improve the site.

Message 4 of 10
(3,733 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

I know it's been brought up before...  I just happened to be sitting next to the Gentlemen who posted the comment when the Great Migration occurred.  However, since it has not changed, I will repost in this thread.  Sorry to sound like a broken record (already defined).

Why all the blank spaces on either side of the pages?  It causes a significant loss in real-estate.  The width of the white spaces on either side of the area of interest is relative to the width of the browser, which means as I widen the browser to gain more real-estate, the white space border also widens which somewhat defeats the purpose of widening the width of the browser.

Is there a special reason that I am not aware of which requires such a border?

Enough posts for now.  I invested more time than allotted for today on positive suggestions to improve the site.

This was reported on July 29th by Christian Altenbach.  I was next to him when he posted the comment:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Community/Comments-Questions-on-New-Layout/m-p/3329090#M13164

As I read through the comments thread, many are still valid today. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,687 Views)

The one aspect that irritates me the most with the forum or the entire site since the Great Migration is the difficulty to navigate and find the technical information that I need.  I know it's there.  I've seen it before.  After visiting the NI website for over 17 years, surely I should be able to find what I am looking for.  I used to be able to do so with greater ease.  I can find information on Keysight's website easier than here, and I am no fan of Keysight (yuck 😞 ).. 

The key to a good website is the ease in which one can navigate an find the information.  After all, that is why websites exist: to offer information (or gather it if you are called Google).

Message 6 of 10
(3,686 Views)

I recommend one suggestion per post so that it is easier to track.

Since I started this thread, I will begin:

Hi Ray - thanks for staring this thread.  As I come across items I'll post here:

1.  I would like the list of "my groups" to display all of my groups at one time, or at least give me the option to display 15 at a time.  It is quite cumbersom to click through them 5 at a time.  And I'd prefer to not have to bookmark all 35.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,655 Views)

I miss the left sidebar where (in the past, before the Great Migration) I could simply and quickly jump from one area of the forum to the next.  I don't like the folder style browsing at the top.  It is not efficient (or useful for me).

The way to "get the sidebar back" is to click on the browse path (??name??) or to get out of the actual thread that you are reading.  The new sidebar is not well organized and difficult to quickly see where you want to browse to.  The ease of navigating in the new forums gets a low score.

Message 8 of 10
(3,619 Views)
Hi Ray,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your feedback.  We have open ticket for the tool-bar improvements which includes hyper-links with notifications and messages listed out separately.

I have created the following enhancement tickets:
Clicking avatar or name to get to the profile page. 
Split out Kudos from notifications
Reduce blank space on either side of the page (pillarbox effect)
Subject line text should not wrap on profile page.

You have mentioned you were not able to find technical information that you need like you did before the migration. Can you give some examples of Keysight's website you liked or what you liked on our site before the migration?  You also suggested bringing back the sidebar.  We can't recall a left sidebar navigation. Can you please give a little more information to jog our team's memory? The information you provide will help to investigate how we can enhance navigation within the community. 

We appreciate your feedback to help us build a better community for everyone. 

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Team 

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,582 Views)

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your feedback. I have added your suggestion to our enhancement list.

Best Regards,

Kristi Martinez

NI Community Team

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,581 Views)