From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem solved ???

Hi all,

I do realize that this post should go in the "wish list for this forum" thread but I decided on purpose to start a new one.

After a few days going through LabVIEW Zone forums to get some help or to help people in the need I adopted (like most of us here I assume) a strategy that consist in focusing on the threads that haven't received any answer yet and then only I select threads I will read by titles.

BUT (and this is the purpose of that thread) I would love to have an indicator in the thread list that tells me which have already been solved.
This indicator of course shall only be put to "problem solved" by the one who started the thread, that will let the possibility for a thread to remain open for an undetermined period of time.

No doubt that I am not the first one to throw this idea, but I'd like to know, if there is, the reason why it doesn't exist yet ?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 1 of 13
(7,093 Views)
This could be a bit tricky, because sometimes the first answer is horrible and solves the problem in a overly complex and convoluted way or has a serious hidden flaw. In this case, the problem is not really solved, even if the thread originator might think it is. 😮
Message 2 of 13
(7,095 Views)
1 point (and 5 stars) for you... you are absolutely right Smiley Indifferent.... I haven't thought about that !
And you are all the more right that this happens, if not every day, at least a few times a week !

Maybe I just lost a good occasion to shut up... At least now I do know a good reason why it does not exist 😉

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,092 Views)
Christian's exception does not have to rule out this idea.

I'd lke to see that myself to save me time reading over what is already solved.

To handle the user that asks but never ever replies, I would like the "frequent flyers" (? >100 post plus rating >4.5) to be able to "propose" that the thread is closed. Other frequent flyers could confirm it. Original poster can always come back and over-ride and re-open.

More work and more logic for Molly and her crew but it would be another way we could improve the quality of the Exchange.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 13
(7,082 Views)
 That means my idea was not totaly bad, thanks for digging up with other good ideas Ben 😉

I have no idea of the amount of work that would represent for Molly's team, but for us that would save time... Smiley Tongue

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,077 Views)

"but for us that would save time... "

1) Any idea that can save us time is worth asking for.

2) When brainstorming, never rule out the obsurd or rediculous. Imagine what people were telling Jeff K when he first came up with the idea for LV. And adding to that (for general purposes, and because it is one of my favorite quotes, and has nothing to do with Christians response where he was serving as a sounding board) "Great minds have always encountered violent oposition from mediocre minds.: (A. Einstien)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 13
(7,073 Views)
Ben,
That signature... can you tell me where it comes from ?
Because it really sound like the translation of an old well-known french song written for a cinematographic adaptation of Don Quichote !

to come back to the post, thanks... I agree with you 😉 !

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 7 of 13
(7,057 Views)

@TiTou wrote:
 That means my idea was not totaly bad, thanks for digging up with other good ideas Ben 😉

No, it wasn't a bad idea and other forums have a similar feature.

It could be useful especially for people like me on the west coast who enter most discussion relatively late in the day due to the time difference, and most threads already have a couple of posts. Sometimes I don't immediately look at a thread because it already has 10 posts in it, so I assume it is solved. Later I look at it anyway and see that it contains only duplicate questions and requests for clarifications, etc...

It should be implemented as a very "mild" feature.

1. The thread should NOT be closed, but remain open
  2. The originator of the thread must have an option to undo the "solved" tag at any later time.
Message 8 of 13
(7,052 Views)

"sound like the translation of an old well-known french song written for a cinematographic adaptation of Don Quichote !"

Correct!

I'll look-up the Author and correct name this week-end. I may even watch it again!

Ben

Message 9 of 13
(7,052 Views)
French version is from Jacques Brel, sing name "La quête" (the quest). I'll try to find the lyrics over the WE.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 10 of 13
(7,027 Views)