Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New kind of notification?

I just started receiving notifications from boards I suscribed to: this was not happening till yesterday but I was receving regular email notifications for them.

I was quite confortable with that configuration, now the notifications feed is mixed up with discussions I participated into and messages that potentially have little interest to me and I'm not really happy with that. Smiley Sad

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,398 Views)

Just to clarify a bit more, I'm not pretending that you customize the forum behaviour just to make me happy Smiley Wink but in my opinion the notifications feed should be aimed to keep you informed on "active" topics activity.

When you suscribe to an entire board, you are aware that a subset of discussions will be not so interesting and definitely they should not be listed into your "active" topics; it seems to me that flooding up the notifications feed with those discussions is not the best option you can think of.

As previously mentioned, the intended functionality of the Notification Feed is to display notifications of new topics within boards that you subscribe to. We received the confirmation that this bug should now be fixed.
We understand that this isn't the desired functionality for some users, but this is an out-of-the-box feature and there are no customization options available.

Thank you,
Lili
~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 49
(2,387 Views)

Ok, I unsuscribed the boards to avoid flooding up the notifications feed.

Hi,

today I noticed some new kind of email notification:

check.png

(screenshot from Thunderbird)

All 4 emails notified my about the very same message by RTSLVU. I think that message was edited 3 times…

Do I now get emails everytime someone edits its message? (It might be interesting to be able to see a change history for a message, but usually I don't need this… ;))

(My notification feed shows only one new notification for the thread…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 49
(2,324 Views)

I hope that isn't the case, otherwise people will get like 5 notifications for each post I make.

EDIT:  Okay this is number 2...

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 49
(2,338 Views)

Thanks Hooovahh,

just two email notifications:

check.png

This time with identical text in the message body, couldn't see the "change history" here…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 49
(2,336 Views)

This isn't a new type of notification, but it may be something you only recently enabled.

Under your notification settings, there is a setting called: Any edits and workflow requests for documents in areas I subscribe to

You might want to review what you have this set to. However, please keep in mind that these setting affect forum topics and documents.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 49
(2,330 Views)

Hi Lili,

it may be something you only recently enabled.

Well, I haven't checked my notifications settings for weeks, so no "recent" changes…

Under your notification settings, there is a setting called: Any edits and workflow requests for documents in areas I subscribe to You might want to review what you have this set to.

I did now:

check.png

All settings on "default" - and I didn't change them in the last weeks…

After reviewing those settings I got some questions:

- What are considered "minor edits"?

- What is the difference between "documents in areas I subscribe to" and "articles and topics in areas I subscribe to"?

- Why should I change the "documents" setting when I got notifications for "articles and topics"? (IMHO)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 49
(2,324 Views)

Sorry, to clarify -- the setting "Any edits and workflow requests for documents in areas I subscribe to" was previously set to "never" by default. After the conversation in the topic here about documents, the default was changed to "immediately." So if you had never touched those settings, and they were all set to default, this would have updated for you as well.

To answer your other questions --

According to the documentation here: Trivial changes such as typos and formatting fixes can be considered a minor edit. Users that are subscribed to documents can choose to not be notified of minor edits. This applies to documents.

Articles and documents sometimes refer to the same thing -- just a mistake with inconsistent words being used -- and that is what you would find in an area like this. More information on documents can be found in the documentation here.

A topic is what you would find in a forum board.

As for why to change the setting for documents, the notification setting is sort of bundled together so that one will affect all content types.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 49
(2,315 Views)