Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Account password requirements?

Solved!
Go to solution

So I just tried to change my account password, only to be told my new password is invalid, and without any indication as to why:

NIAccount_InvalidPassword.PNG

What does NI consider a valid password?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,102 Views)

Hi Michael,

Any type of letter/number combination should be acceptable. Do you happen to have any special characters or spaces in your password?

Please feel free to reach out via private message, if you prefer.

Thanks,

Lili McDonald
Community Manager

National Instruments

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,074 Views)

Looks awfully long ....

Maybe there is an upper limit in the number of characters (database or web entry form)?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,067 Views)

Thanks for the responses. The new password attempt was 50 characters of random alphanumeric + special characters. After some testing, a 20 char random alphanumeric password with special characters (no spaces) is accepted, while a 50 char random alphanumeric only password is considered invalid. So it looks like an upper character limit on the password is triggering the error message.

I did try to narrow down the password length requirement, but between the captcha entry field randomly not displaying, and error messages like this, I just left it at 20 chars:

NIAccount_TechnicalIssue.PNG

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,046 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelBalzer

It looks like the character limit is 25.

Improvements to this functionality is on the backlog for the team.

Thanks for the feedback,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
Message 5 of 6
(4,029 Views)

It looks like the character limit for the entry field is >25. If it would have truncated the entries to 25 characters, things would have worked, but I am not sure if this is desirable.

(Back in the nineties, our SGI Personal iris was limited to 8 characters for passwords (IRIX) and if somebody was watching, I would enter the password and a dozen other random characters. Still worked, but was harder to memorize from watching :D)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,025 Views)