From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logout on browser close....normal?

Up until now, I've just dealt with this because it only requires me to click the Login link (no password entry required).  However it is becoming a nuisance and I'm not sure if it is a cookie setting or a Lithium setting.  I've seen other posts by Ben and Altenbach about logouts while browsing the forum.  This is not the same as what I'm experiencing.  

I've checked my cookie settings and cookies appear to be turned on.  Like I said, the session is refreshed just by clicking the login link, so it would appear to me that the cookie is there.  I see the same issue in Chrome and Firefox.  

On a related note, I see a message at the bottom of the window when I launch the forum page and click the Login link.  This seems to only appear with Chrome.  Clicking OK makes it go away for that session but it comes back after browser restart.  Typically these messages only show up when cookies are blocked but as far as I can tell, I have them turned on.  

cookie_policy.PNG

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,998 Views)

Hi aputman,

As you indicated, the behavior you're seeing would typically be seen if you were using private browsing ("Incognito Mode", "Private Mode", etc.) or deleting cookies after every session.

When starting a new browser session, if you go to the ni.com homepage rather than the NI Community do you still see the message about cookies? It will help to know if this is impacting all of ni.com or just the NI Community pages.

Thanks,

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,969 Views)

Right now, I am not seeing the cookie message at all.  Earlier, when I posted this, every time I closed and reopened the browser, it would pop up.  It is not appearing on ni.com either at this time.  I will continue to monitor it.  

When I open NI.com, the page does say Welcome Aaron.  So the cookies are in place and not deleted by Private Mode, etc.  However the community doesn't acknowledge that I am logged in until I click the Login link or, as I just found out, when I click to reply to a message.  Then, as if by magic, I am logged back in again.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,965 Views)

@aputman wrote:

When I open NI.com, the page does say Welcome Aaron.  So the cookies are in place and not deleted by Private Mode, etc.  However the community doesn't acknowledge that I am logged in until I click the Login link or, as I just found out, when I click to reply to a message.  Then, as if by magic, I am logged back in again.  

It has been this way for a very long time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,960 Views)

crossrulz wrote:

It has been this way for a very long time.

Of course it has.  That's why I said I have been dealing with it until now.  But my question is "is it normal?"  Just because it has always been that way doesn't necessarily mean that it is intended behavior.  

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,958 Views)

Hi guys,

As you've noted, the issues with being logged out upon closing a browser session and needing to log in across both the ni.com and NI Community logins have been ongoing for quite some time and we are working to smooth out that connection/behavior.  Hopefully, you will see some improvements there relatively soon.

However, the issue with the cookies pop-up appearing every time you visit and the site seemingly not recognizing you as a returning visitor is not a known issue. Please let us know if that continues and whether you see this elsewhere on ni.com or just here on the NI Community pages.

Thanks!

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,936 Views)