Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i remove the thread on discussion forum

I want to know how can i delete the existing thread...?
Actually i had posted some job ad at Discussion forum but now i have changed my mind and i dont want to switch right now but the NI website still shows the information to be shared with all,Can anybody tell me how to remove the thread i have started for the job search.....?

Regards,
Dinesh Kumar
Certified Labview Associate Developer(CLAD)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Forget to Rate the answers.!!! You can do it in few seconds
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,433 Views)

Use the Options Report to a Moderator seen on the right hand side of the message

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,426 Views)
Just reply to the thread that you've changed your mind and that you are no longer seeking a job Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
(6,413 Views)

You know, there are times when it is desirable, and appropriate, for a user to be able to delete their own posts.

It would also be nice to be able to edit a post more than once because sometimes, I simply don't get it right the first time.

This would be a good feature to implement.

Martin Fredrickson
Test Engineer

Northrop Grumman
Advanced Systems and Products
San Diego, CA 92128
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,403 Views)

Hi,

Not sure being allowed to delete your messages is a good thing.

But you can edit them by selecting the Options dropdown menu on the right hand side of the message box. You only have alimited time to do thing and only if someone hasn't answered it.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,396 Views)

Why not?

Lots of other boards allow deletion. If there are no replies to it, there may not be a reason to disallow it.

Martin Fredrickson
Test Engineer

Northrop Grumman
Advanced Systems and Products
San Diego, CA 92128
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,393 Views)

You can get messages deleted by going through the Moderator via the menu item found on the Options.

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,387 Views)
According to the (now former) moderator, at least the time limit for editing is there because the forums are synchronized with some newsgroups and you have to lock it at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for not enabling deletion are similar or the same.

tst, you got it! 
Message 9 of 10
(6,364 Views)
b..b..but....forums such as the breakpoint or the feedback forum don't have associated newsgroups, AFAIK. 😉

There needs to be some consistency and permanence, so allowing editing for a brief time allows us to incorporate attached images in the text body, correct typos, fix broken links, etc. We cannot change the main story much later. When was the last time you were able to retract an e-mail that you accidentally sent to everybody in the company?

Allowing the editing of post at any later time will destroy any thread. If one particiant goes back and turns his post on its head, it would make all the existing replies look stupid. So the repliers will go back and edit their posts. Wash, rinse, repeat. Suddenly we need to use the google cache or even the wayback machine at the internet archive to figure out what was originally there.

There is no limilt on the number of posts in a thread and nobody is prevented to post again with clarifications, corrections, new insights, or even apologizing for posting the original in the first place. 😄 This way the discussion can evolve naturally.

I am sure that moderators can delete any post at any time, but that should be used very sparingly to maintain the integrity of the forum. (Reasons could be posts that are spam, highly offensive and offtopic, or e.g. reveal deepest company secrets of NI. ;))

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,355 Views)