Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost Text in Message Field

Whereas, in order to facilitate the smooth resolution to all of the problems we face on a daily basis with noobs who don't know the proper way of asking a question

Whereas to save said noobs from incurring the wrath of Bob "No Pictures, Please" Schor, when they fail to post code or snippets but instead post pictures or nothing at all

I hereby propose that the compose message field be populated with a message, with said message being written in ghost text (def. text that will disappear upon focus being taken by the mouse cursor.)  In the event that such noobs ignore the message and fail to post actual, working code, may God have mercy on their souls because here comes Bob.  Smiley Wink

In all seriousness, I think a short, brief, on-point message right there in the box where they will be typing, might actually make a difference.  I don't know, maybe I am being naive.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 1 of 3
(2,626 Views)

Or I could become "Kinder and gentler" ...  If you do implement something like this, perhaps you could have it "autoexpire" after, say, 30 posts, with the possibility for the Moderator(s) to turn it back on (but probably someone other than I should be in charge).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,592 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Or I could become "Kinder and gentler" ...  

No that won't help.  Smiley Very Happy

They problem is that you tell one person but most of the noobs don't read these posts as much as we do.  They only read the post that affects them in that moment.  So yes, as active participants, we do get tired of hearing and giving the incessant reminders to post code, much like we get tired of telling our kids to brush their teeth, but these are things that need to be said.  

I think there used to be a pinned post that said "Read this before posting" but that, again, is not effective.  No one reads it because they need answers right away.  

Spoiler
Maybe, it should be mandatory that a file be attached to the post.  If you aren't asking a question about code, then there would be an opt-out checkbox.  Smiley Wink
aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,477 Views)