Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum idea: automatic creation of links to product page, user manual and SPEC

Didn't found a Forum idea exchange, so I post it here:

A lot of times, when I try to help other users with NI hardware related stuff, I have to browse to the related product documentation.

I really would wellcome that (like in other forums, or semiconductor product tables) whenever a NI product numer  ( USB 6009,   5422 , 6251  ) shows up in the text, and you hoover over that number with your mouse ( or a click) , a small menue pop up with links to the product page, user manual and specification (opened in a new window) 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1 of 7
(5,917 Views)

I like the spirit of the idea, but hate it on other forums where a weird popup comes up just because my mouse happened to appear on top of a "special" word.  Autochanging to links would not be a bad idea.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(5,915 Views)

Great idea, Henrik.  I also would prefer Tim's approach that the product ID becomes a link rather than a pop up menu.

Considering how poorly some of NI's search engines work, it will be interesting to see how accurate the links can be.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,907 Views)

A link would be a great  help and would /should point to the product page.....  better than nothing, but usually I'm looking for the spec.  OK 2 more clicks ...

Or always have tag like links below the post?

6251  would create links/tags to

PCI-6251  PCIe-6251 PXI-6251 PXIe-6251 USB-6251 USB-6251-OEM    and  for each  a link to poduct-page, manual, spec  ???  

cut&paste into a new google tap .......   

Still dream of a one click link to the spec in a new window!!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,899 Views)

Sometimes I want the spec and other times the manual (sometimes both are the same document). The product page requires 2, 3, sometimes more clicks to get to the desired document.

Perhaps a combination of your original suggestion and the tags/links suggestion might work: Have a "6251" tag/link at the bottom of the post. When hovering over that tag pop up the menu with links to all the documents.  This eliminates the popups within the post text which Tim finds annoying but enables reaching any document in one click.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,886 Views)

Still missing such feature... 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,085 Views)

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for bringing this idea to our attention again. We have captured it in our backlog for further evaluation.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,064 Views)