Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-List

Hi CC

Enthusiasm Index - hm.. that's quiet difficult.

Quantity - I agree with Ben. That's necessary.
Rate - Should be included, although it might be some kind of "hot potatoe". Not every member of the community rates an answer with 5 stars, although it solves the problem.
Quality - How could you measure the quality?
Fun - How could you measure fun?

I agree with you, that the weight of reply number should be decreased, but I think that weight of breaks should not be increased. I would just take a total of the replies and not separate breaks and other contributions, but with a small weight.

So maybe the enthusiasm index could be calculated as follows:

A x quantity + 3 * A * rate (and if measurable + B * quality + C * fun)

Just a note: rate should mean average message rating given - not stars recieved

Thomas

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 21 of 249
(7,764 Views)

HI All,

I suspect the drop-off in activity is due to the end of summer here in the nothern hemisphere.

I apparently misunderstood Rate. I thought this was # post/unit time.

Re: Bugs in the E-List

I try to avoid negative feedback. It is much to natural for me to do so. But since you are asking...

I had trouble figuring out how to operate it. Could you enhance the help?

What does the customizing headers stuff do?

How do I manipulate the ABCD coefficients?

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 09-26-2005 07:01 AM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 22 of 249
(7,749 Views)

Hi all

Here some things I think could be better:
- If I stop E-List, it would be nice, if the exit-labview function is used (I'm a lazy window user Smiley Wink)
- The path of the last opened file should be stored while exiting the program
- The customizing of the headers is a little bit strange. I have a two column table, with one of them is just black, without any text.

But as Ben said, I also don't want give negative feedback on the work of professionals Smiley Very Happy

Thomas

Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 23 of 249
(7,732 Views)

@chilly charly wrote:
CC and Tst have disappeared from the top 20 runners.
Is this evolution significant ?

It is in my case. The slower reply rate was not caused by me working on bringing E-trend up to the ListVIEW standards. As a matter of fact, I've had zero time both to work on the app and to post, and I don't know when I will have time again.

Please help me check the data in the E-List before re-editing previous week issues (that's for Tst's E-Trend) !

As for E-Trend, I have added some features to the app and some minimal work to adapt the existing app to the new format, but I will not be able to handle it myself soon. I will transfer the new app to CC, whoh will be able to create the data file.

Humm....seems that you have not done your part of the work, since I didn't receive any bug report ! 😉

No time for that either. I didn't even have time to look at the code. I'm starting to feel like JLV. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy ROFL Smiley TongueSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Tongue

WHAT???
was my name used in vain.... again???
😐

I am patting myself on the back.. I passed rolfk..  😉
And reached a milestone that I never thought possible... reaching LV_guru..
My next goal is to steal JP's stars...  😛

Good work CC.. (sourire invisible)

hop...hop...hop...

(french translation - traduction francaise)

boing boeing boh-ingue..

😐

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 09-26-2005 12:55 PM

Message 25 of 249
(7,728 Views)

Thanks to you all for the feedback. Don't worry about being negative. All your comments will be perceived as constructive.

I have to feed you with more infos.

First everybody should understand the differences between replies, topics, questions, follow-ups and breaks. The NI classification is simple but unfair : there is only 2 types of contributions : threads and replies. However a thread can be either a question asked by an user to solve a problem, a report of a specific information by an "advanced" user (bug report, unusual behaviour, trick...) or a "high-level" question for which no evident answer is immediately available. In the E-List, threads (subject title not beginning with "Re:") are classified as Breaks, Topics and Questions. A Break is a thread opened in the BreakPoint board. A Topic is a thread that has been identified as specifically interesting (by Ben or somebody else ;)) and rated with 5 stars. All the other threads are Questions. Additionnally, two exception tables keep track of threads that are Breaks posted outside the BreakPoint board (the old congratulation threads for instance), and of Topics that have been posted in the BreakPoint space (I think we need a dedicated board for that. Another discussion topic ? Ben ?). So, do not hesitate to rate Questions because this is the only way to make a difference between "Hi ! is a local better than a global variable ?" and "I think there may be a bug in the Picture to Pixmap.vi". I did some archaelogical ratings on a few Greg's threads, just to avoid unfair classification on some contributions. On another hand, adding a 4 star rating to an abusively rated question will turn it back from topic to question.
I already explained the difference between replies and follow-up.

ABCD : you can't play with these coefficients : To avoid "cheating", I have decided to keep the calculation formula "secret". I hope nobody will be hurt, and a good challenge could be to do some reverse engineering to identify the various coefficients (possible since the data are published).
Actually, the Enthusiasm index calculation is a bit more complicated. The distinction between Quantity, Rate, Quality and Fun is something I have imagined to interpret the coefficients generated by the PCA analysis.

1/ Quantity : it's the overall number of replies, questions, topics and follow-up, each affected by a weight coefficient (positive or negative).

2/ Rate : As Ben guessed, rate is a ratio between quantity and time. Again, each variable has a specific weight. The week rate is not very significant and may vary strongly. Month, quarter and year averages are better indicators.

3/ Quality : this is a questionable variable. It's built using :
- the number of attachments (I guess that this is something that Altenbach will appreciate...). I consider that including a small vi or a link to another thread is a positive action. To be fair, the attachments to questions and follow-ups are not taken into account.
- the number of stars and ratings. The star rating system has already been criticized, and I have nothing to add, except that it applies to everybody, and that after one thousand post, I believe that it should begin to have some statistical significance ;).

4/ Fun : this is simply the number of posts in the BreakPoint board (and associated threads...). There are probably some other variables that could be included here, such as the number of stars given to these posts, or the number of corresponding attachments. The max replies in 24h should be included as well, since they usually are the result of some kind of challenge.

Hope this will help you to build a better picture of the situation.

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 26 of 249
(7,712 Views)
Ben, thanks for your continuous support !

There are really few command in ListVIEW, and improving the Help will not be a big issue.
All the menu items, except the Customize menu are simple enough. I'm specially proud of the About menu 😄

Customize List Headers : This is a rather powerfull function since it allows to shape the display at will : Select the columns you want to be displayed, arrange their order by dragging the column headers where you want them, even modify the string headers (translate it to german if you wish... or to proper english ! ;)). In the next release, modifications will appear in real-time on the List table.
File Menu
  Save custom selection : save a custom header
  Load custom selection : in association with the previous command, allows you to create specific header set-ups. I'm not sure this is something highly usefull, but since it was not a lot of work, I included it
  Quit : return to main window, with the new header. To return to the main window without changing the header setup, you need first to cancel the modifications, using the Cancel command. As it stands, looks like a non-standard way of quitting a function (usually a validation step is required), but you have to remember that in the next release the modifications will have an immediate effect.
Customize Menu
  Cancel all modifications : does what it says.
  Reset to default : select a "factory" set of columns (this set will be modified in the next release, to include the Enthusiasm and evolution column)
  Edit column names : don't work (I forgot to manage this menu item !!!). Instead, press the shift button while clicking on a column header. A new window will pop-up, allowing you to change the column name to whatever you want.
  Group selected columns : collect all the selected column names at the top of the list (there is a bug here : the column names are sorted in reverse order !)
  Ungroup selected columns : restore the original order of the column names (as in the spreadsheet E-List file)
  Deselect and Select all headers : do what they say

All the bugs are already corrected ! BTW, Becktho suggestion to open automatically the last loaded E-List has been implemented

Hurry up if you need something else before next week-end !

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 249
(7,708 Views)

Re:Help

No one I know has ever seen or heard of this frog thing that you have adopted as your logo.

I have read that some of our european contributors find it iritatitng.

I noticed the posting in the "burp counter" thread the link to the animation. That link was in a language I do not recognize.

One of my music advisors indicated that the sounds in the background of the animation were not music. BTW That comment was made by a person who rents and watches "throat singing" videos.

So please share a little more about your chosen icon. As it stands now, when people ask me about your icon, all I can say is "All I know is that it iritates people and that was good enough for CC!"

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 28 of 249
(7,689 Views)

Hi CC,

I have to admit that I haven't looked at the new ListView.  But from what I read it appears impressive.

How I envy you... to have the time for fun...   😐

I will switch to it this weekend.

🙂

PS:  I don't find your icon irritating...  It's a nice froggy.  😄

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 09-27-2005 07:50 AM

Message 29 of 249
(7,684 Views)
Ben, a quick google search for "crazy frog" will tell you that the noise is not music, but is in fact based on the noise that was made by the scooter (or motorcycle. I don't remember) the guy owned.