Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download all attachments as zip, please.

Of course it is recommended to attach multiple VIs as a single zip file, but not everybody does it (example)

altenbach_1-1579119706525.png

Downloading multiple related VIs directly to the downloads folder is always a problem, because the high chance of crosslinking. For example my downloads folder contains subvi.vi, subvi (1).vi, subvi (2).vi from unrelated threads and vintages, so if there is a new posts with main.vi and subvi.vi, the new main will load the ancient subVI, because the browser will rename the new one to subvi (3).vi, never to be found. The main VI will be often be broken and the subVI code makes no sense in the context of the question.

All these problems can be avoided if everything is in a zip file and we later extract it to a new folder.

Now, gmail has this wonderful feature that allows us to download all mail attachments of a message at once as a single zip (see picture of an e-mail from my security system with several attached images).

I suggest that the forum would provide a similar option: If there is more than one attachments, there should be a way to "download all attachments as zip file". 

altenbach_0-1579119570947.png

Message 1 of 8
(3,796 Views)

Hi altenbach,

Thank you for the suggestion. We currently have a Download All ticket in our backlog and hope to implement this enhancement soon. We will keep you updated.

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
Message 2 of 8
(3,680 Views)

Yeah, it's there!

Thanks, Kristi for the implementation and Altenbach for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,580 Views)

Hi wiebe@CARYA and altenbach,

You're welcome. You beat me to it.The feature was added today. 😉

Have a great day! 😊

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
Message 4 of 8
(3,572 Views)

Hi Kristy,

one small annoyance with the "Download All" feature:

When the filenames contain spaces the tool will escape all spaces by %20 in the ZIP file as can be tested here. (Have not tested with other "unusual" chars like German umlauts äöüÄÖÜ.)

Quite annoying when you have to rename several files after unZIPping…

(But the general feature is very useful!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 8
(3,530 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thank you for the feedback. We have submitted a request to improve the download feature when file names have spaces. I will keep you updated on this request. 

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
Message 6 of 8
(3,514 Views)

Hi @GerdW 

As I mentioned in the release notes today, we released some changes to the "Download All" function. I think they address your concern, but let us know if we missed anything.

Thank you,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,376 Views)

I don't consider it a naming improvements, especially for threads with longish subjects:

altenbach_0-1587754237566.png

There need to be some character limit.... This is getting out of hand!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,368 Views)