Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documents - Questions and Feedback

Also, I had drafts of documents I was working on. How do I access those?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 54
(2,063 Views)

Hello X.,

The issue of documents not appearing in your profile is listed as known issue #7 on this Known Issues list.  We are investigating the problem further and will update the list when more is known.

Thanks,

Christine

Christine Egli
Section Manager
Digital Support Experience
National Instruments

Christine Egli | National Instruments | Section Manager, Digital Support Experience
Message 12 of 54
(2,051 Views)

I tried editing one of my documents in the LabWindows/CVI User Group Documents board (specifically this one).

Screenshot 2016-11-23 09.29.59.png

As you can see the document has a very poor aspect so I tried to unify text font and size and remove unnecessary formatting like coloured background, however:

When I try editing the coloured background text the result is weird: here I formatted the first paragraph in Arial 6, as you can see the result is more space between lines and no size raise

Screenshot 2016-11-23 09.36.24.png

When I try saving the document I get an error claiming some invalid HTML code is found inside the message, however there is no way to switch to HTML editing to remove offending code (BTW who is supposed to introduce that HTML? If I simply edit the document and try saving it without modifications I get the very same error message! Smiley Frustrated )

Screenshot 2016-11-23 09.41.44.png

Apparently the migration of existing documents from the old platform to the new one has generated this situation that blocks further modifications to them.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,038 Views)

Hi RobertoBozzolo,

Unfortunately, the formatting did get messed up with the migration for some contents. We’re working on adding an HTML view to the documents so that users can fix the formatting of their own documents too.
In the meantime, you can always paste the content into a plain text editor such as Notepad, and then paste back into the document to adjust the formatting.

Thank you for your patience!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 54
(2,020 Views)

Unfortunately the workaround you suggest doesn't work: the problem is the formatting added during the migration, that I cannot put away since I don't see it. As I already told, if I simply press Edit and then try to save the document without changing anything I get the error!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,010 Views)

Roberto - I was able to use a regular user account to edit your document. Following the workaround that Tilee provided, I was able to fix the formatting in your document and save.

• You must copy all of the content from the document and ensure there is nothing left in the text editor.
  • Paste your content into Notepad to remove any of the HTML. It won't look correct in Notepad at this point.
  • However, once you copy from Notepad and paste back into the text editor, the text looks correct again. You just need to reapply any bold formatting or number/bullet lists.

Please recheck your document to see my edits.

As Tilee mentioned, the team will work through the formatting issues as content is audited and we are working to provide an HTML view in the text editor to help with clean up. In the meantime, please follow the instructions above if you wish to fix the formatting on your own documents.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 54
(2,006 Views)

X. wrote: [*] I found a trace of it with a search on the NI website:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-48626

but the link redirects me to a generic landing page, as so many of my bookmarks carefully saved before the dreaded migration....

The link was to a personal document which was not migrated over. If you need a copy of it or other personal documents of yours, we can provide those.

X. wrote: Also, I had drafts of documents I was working on. How do I access those?

Drafts were not migrated over either. We can provide a copy if needed.

RobertoBozzolo wrote: "Published documents can be edited and collaborated on by any community user": if this means that any user is able to edit a document even if not created by himself it seems wrong to me! I may accept that a document is edited by peers (e.g. same rank as the original poster or any other criteria you may imagine) but leaving to anyone that authority is not correct IMHO.

We have enabled the ability to restrict or block edits on documents.

• Block Edits - only the document author can edit and publish changes to the document. This is set on a document-by-document basis.
  • Restrict Edits - anyone can edit the document, but only the document author can publish the changes. This is set on a document-by-document basis.

You can enable these options by clicking on Document Options > Restrict Edits or > Block Edits.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 54
(1,998 Views)

I was not aware that personal documents would not be migrated. I think I was probably not the only one.

Moreover I believe that the document I referred to was published. Obviously I can't check but from its topic (Skewness & Kurtosis, where I was describing what was not in the corresponding LabVIEW VI), I don't see any reason why I would have kept it private (if not by mistake).

So yes, please give me access to my personal documents (including unpublished), whenever possible. There is no rush, as there are more urgent things to fix on the website.

I will migrate them to a personal website, since NI can't be trusted to preserve documents or links (not just this one).

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 54
(1,990 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

We have enabled the ability to restrict or block edits on documents.

• Block Edits - only the document author can edit and publish changes to the document. This is set on a document-by-document basis.
  • Restrict Edits - anyone can edit the document, but only the document author can publish the changes. This is set on a document-by-document basis.

You can enable these options by clicking on Document Options > Restrict Edits or > Block Edits.

Lilli, does enabling Block Edits on documents mean people can still leave comments? I want to ensure only I can edit the content of the document, but comments must be allowed.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 54
(1,955 Views)