Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have a button to remove formatting?

One of my most-loved features of the gmail editor is the "remove formatting" button.

Sometimes we paste content from elsewhere and the font is just slighty different (arial vs. helvetica vs. tahoma, size, shade of grey) or there are bold or italic embedded codes, for example. Wouldn't it be nice to select that part of the text and just remove all formatting, reverting everything to the default we get when we just start typing plain text into a new editor window?

Currenty, extra formatting is difficult to revert and we either need to go to the html editor or we need to guess what the default font|size|color actually is.

What is the default font? size? color?

Message 1 of 8
(3,712 Views)

I second this request which could be a useful addition.

And I second altenbach last question too: every time I tried formatting text to get the aspect of the default editor font and size I ended up with something slightly different from it.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Hi guys,

It looks like it may be possible for us to enable a "clear formatting" button. We are looking into it and will keep you updated here.

While we work on that, a quick/easy way to clear the formatting from text is to copy/paste it into and back out of a program like notepad, which will strip out the formatting.

We'll keep you updated on this.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
Message 3 of 8
(3,642 Views)

The clear formatting button is now available.

clearformatting.png

Thanks for the suggestion!

~~~~~~~~~
Message 4 of 8
(3,575 Views)

Hi Lili,

I just copied some text from LabVIEW help to the editor window, see this message with the linked Help article.

Then I wanted to remove formatting of the copied text: that didn't work (as expected)!

Neither the table formatting of "current length is…" was removed nor the <headline> tags of the "Data Queue PtByPt Details"…

I had to remove all those HTML tags in the HTML view of the message editor!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,509 Views)

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for reporting this. We were able to reproduce this issue and will escalate this to Lithium for further investigation.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,484 Views)

Hi Lili,

same issue: the "remove formatting" button wasn't able to remove <h5> and <font> tags…

(After I copied the message topic into the editor window I got this line: <h5>Can we use RS422 serial port communicat<wbr />ion</h5>)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,382 Views)

Hi Gerd,

The text editor in the community utilizes TinyMCE editor. Unfortunately, the issues you've reported with the "remove formatting" button is functioning like this within TinyMCE itself.

Our recommendation is when pasting formatted text, use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste as plain text. You could also paste it into the HTML tab of the text editor which would strip away any formatting.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,365 Views)