Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer look at images in attachments

It is very common for people to attach images (PNG, JPG) to posts.  I am talking about attaching as a file, not embedded images in the post.  Before the last update, I could open those images in a new tab and view it through my browser.  Now it forces a download of the image so I can view it.  This just adds more steps and is quite inconvenient.

Windows 7, FF 52.3

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,526 Views)

I just saw that as well last night.  I assumed it was a problem with that particular attachment.

I'm using Firefox as well.

This is not good at all.  Not quite as bad as trying to download and use snippets since the image upload change some weeks ago, but almost as bad.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,512 Views)

Thanks for reporting this. We have escalated it accordingly and will let you know when we have an update.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,507 Views)

Hi Lili,

the same problem occurs for PDF files (like manuals or datasheets) from all over the NI website: I have to download before being able to read/look at.

Something completely changed for the whole website...

(For both desktop PC and mobile phone.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,495 Views)

Thanks, Gerd. This bug is still being investigated. We do not have an ETA for a fix yet.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,483 Views)

This issue is resolved in an upcoming release. We do not have a firm date yet for this release.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 6 of 10
(3,412 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

This issue is resolved in an upcoming release. We do not have a firm date yet for this release.

Did the release get pulled? It has been over a year. I'm still getting downloads when clicking on PNG files instead of rendering them in the browser, using the latest Chrome 72. It seems the mimetype is not being set properly?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,765 Views)

Hi iannicholson -

Looking back into this... it appears that our community vendor backtracked on this and stated that there were no plans to change the behavior after all.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,758 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Hi iannicholson -

Looking back into this... it appears that our community vendor backtracked on this and stated that there were no plans to change the behavior after all.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks for responding quickly. I guess the problem shows up when you attach an image to a post instead of embedding it. The forum software treats it as if it was an unknown binary format since that's what usually gets attached. Maybe we can influence users to embed rather than attach?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,752 Views)

Yes, that is the preferred method. Images are best embedded into the post so users can view in a lightbox, full screen, or even download.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,748 Views)