From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY PCMCIA-FBUS/2 CARD LOCKS THE LAPTOP UP, WHEN I INSTALL THE CARD.

I HAVE A PCMCIA-FBUS/2 CARD THAT LOCKS UP THE LAPTOP WHEN IT IS INSTALLED. WE HAVE TRIED IT ON 3 DIFFERENT LAPTOPS. ALL OF THEM HAVE THE COMMUNICATION MANAGER SOFTWARE & HAVE BEEN USING FIELDBUS. THE 1 THING DIFFERENT I HAVE FOUND IS WE ARE USING THE SERIES 2 F-BUS CARDS.  DO I NEED TO LOAD A DIFFERENT SOFTWARE FOR THIS TYPE OF CARD, OR UPRADE TO A DIFFERENT TYPE?

TERRY MCCLAIN
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(10,089 Views)
Hello Terry,

Would you please let us know what kind of Cardbus (PCMCIA) controller is adopted in the laptop? This is the key point.

According to our test, some particular Cardbus controllers are not compatible with our PCMCIA-FBUS series 2 interface card, e.g. Ricoh R5C475II. With these controllers, inserting the PCMCIA-FBUS S2 always hangs the whole OS; the OS becomes active again when we draw the PCMCIA-FBUS S2 out of the slot.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(10,076 Views)
I CHECKED MY LAPTOP,  WE DO NOT USE RICOH. THE CARD IS A PCMCIA-FBUS/2 NOT A SERIES 2. I FOUND SOME OTHER INFORMATION, IS THIS THE 2 PORT SERIES CARD?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(10,065 Views)
"PCMCIA-FBUS/2" means this is a 2-port interface card. Both Series 1 and Series 2 are available in 1 and 2-port configurations. It's simple to tell what the series is - please look at the tag in your PCMCIA-FBUS card:
Series 1: PCMCIA-FBUS/2
Series 2: PCMCIA-FBUS/2, with "Series 2" in the second line

As an old product which has been replaced by series 2 in 2004, the PCMCIA-FBUS series 1 cards were reported to hang some new laptop modules. We would like to suggest you test your card in other laptops, or upgrade it to series 2 if the cardbus controller is not Ricoh or O2Micro.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,056 Views)

Can any one send me the data sheet / detailed specifications of old PCMCIA-FBUS card. ie. series 1. mail ID: rmouleswara@flowserve.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,020 Views)
I am having the same problem

My pcmcia controller is an "02MICRO0Z711EC1 SmartCardBus Controller".  Is this one of the controllers to have a known issue?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(9,944 Views)
If you are using Series1 card, there is a compatibility issue.
Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(9,931 Views)

I am currently experiencing issues with my NI PCMCIA-FBUS series 2 card.  I have an older Dell Latitude CP M166ST laptop running Windows NT 4.0 with a PCMCIA-FBUS/2 CARD S/N 183628D-02 that is currently running fine with my software.  I am trying to setup a newer Dell Latitude C540/C640 with the NI PCMCIA-FBUS series 2 card and the Windows NT 4.0 OS system hangs at startup.  I tried the new PCMCIA card in the older system and it also hung that system.

• Is this a compatibility issues with this series card that I have read about and what is the solution to my problem.
  • Can I get an older card to work with my computer?

The card seems to install properly on my newer Dell Latitude D610 with Windows XP Pro SP2

Note: The old software I am running is only compatible with windows NT.

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(9,512 Views)
PCMCIA Series 1 card has the problem with some the laptops. The laptops with Texas Instruments PCMCIA bus controllers works perfectly. These cards does not work with Dell D620 laptops but works with D820.

Solution is changing  either laptop or buying new Series 2 PCMCIA card.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(9,503 Views)
I ended up buying a new card for the laptop, but this 2 port card works fine in our shop pc. We also found a power consumption issue with this card also. thanks for the help 
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(9,497 Views)