FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Communicator 15.0

This is a recurring issue.  I have a device(actuator) that I am connecting to with an 8486, after the device receives a command and begins to move the interface is dissconnected.  I then have to close configurator and communicator and restart to re-establish the connection. The device manufacturer has assured me that the device is not malfunctioning, as I observed them connecting and communicating with a Fisher field unit with no issues.  I can still access all blocks and write tags/ export parameters.  The issue only occurs with commands to move, i.e 25% 50% 100% and so on.  It seems that actuators with gearboxes are affected, direct drive actuators have had no communication issues

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,160 Views)

Hello,

I have 2 ideas about this issue.

1. What's the version of your NI-FBUS? 16.0 is the latest version and fixed some bugs already. Would it be possible to update your NI-FBUS to 16.0? The download link is http://www.ni.com/download/ni-fbus-configurator-16.0/6404/en/.

2. Updating DD file is the other way. You can try to search and download the latest DD file of the device(actuator) from http://www.fieldbus.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=195. Then load the DD file through NI-FBUS Interface Configuration Utility.

You mentioned "The issue only occurs with commands to move, i.e 25% 50% 100% and so on". Could you please tell me the detailed steps of the process? Or show me some screenshot of the process.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,142 Views)

The issue is unresolved.  I updated the software to 16.0.  Initially that allowed me to move cycle the actuator from 0% final value AO(closed) to 100% final value AO (open), before the interface disconnected. 

What we are doing is testing automated valve assemblies/packages that we have built to verify proper function before we ship.  That involves moving the valve to set positions: 25% final value, 50%, 75% etc..

The first time this occured we had the actuator manufacturers field techs in house and they were unsuccessfull in finding a solution, finally resorting to the use of a fischer field unit(486?) and the actuator performed with no issues.

So, we can find the device on the network, set tags, export parameters but when it comes to cycling, the interface disconnects during movement requiring a reboot of the program to restablish the connection. Following is the process we are following:

- establish the connection to the device

- opening the resource block and selecting "auto" rather than "OOS"

- opening the transducer block

- changing the control mode to "AO only"

- selecting "manual" rather than OOS

- under Final Value AO, selecting quality: good non cascading, sub-status "non- specific"

- changing the value with in the range of 0-100, then writing changes

This is the extent of our experience with the NI software.  We just need to verify functionality, the rest is up to the end user.  We are not involved with plant engineering or configuring the blocks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,118 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your sharing.

I believe the NI-FBUS works well because you can find USB-8486 and actuator in NI-FBUS Configurator. But I am not sure what do you mean by "fischer field unit(486?)"? Is it a link master too? If so, please try to separate the "fischer field unit" from the FF system. In a FF bus, the link master that is currently controlling the bus is called the Link Active Scheduler (LAS). If the current LAS fails, the next link master will take over transparently and begin controlling bus communications where the previous Link Active Scheduler left off. So I worried the "fischer field unit" will take over the LAS and USB-8486 will be left off for some reasons if both "fischer field unit" and USB-8486 in the same FF bus. Also, I attach a diagram, "FBUS.jpg", to show the typical connection structure. Please compare it to your FF bus.

Also there are some questions I want to confirm with you.
1. Did you try to connect other FF devices to the USB-8486? Or connect the USB-8486 to another PC?
2. Could you please send me your ".fcp" file (Fieldbus Configuration Project)?
3. What's the type and version of your actuator? I would like to download its DD file and make a test offline.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,107 Views)

Attach the "FBUS.jpg".

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,106 Views)