FIRST Tech Challenge Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiiMote Controlled NXT Segway Built with your FTC Kit-of-Parts

LEGOtm NXT Segwaytm controlled with a WiiMote and WiiBalance Board

Overview

A two wheel self balancing vehicle that receives steering input from a WiiMote and speed & direction input from a Wii Balance Board.  It is intended to emulate the user experience of controlling a real SegwayTM.

Assumption

It is assumed that you have at least a basic understandingof how to navigate the LabVIEW Development environment and you feel comfortableediting and/or writing G code.

What you will need

• LEGO Mindstorms NXT Robotics Kit (Educational or Retail)
  • HiTechnic NXT Gyro Sensor
  • Nintendo WiiMote Controller
  • Nintendo Balance Board
  • National Instruments LabVIEW 2009 Educational Edition
  • Windows Based PC (sorry no Apple computers… weare calling a .net assembly)
  • Bluetooth Radio that is compatible with the LEGONXT
  • Access to the internet to download the BuildingInstructions from Hitechnic

System Diagram

Wii System Diagram.png

How it works

The system works similar to the Field Control System (FCS) used by FIRST Tech Challenge in 2009 & 2010 in TeleOp mode. It was a Windowsbased PC that gathers user input from USB Joysticks , places these commands into a Bluetooth message, this message is read from Mailbox #1 by the user created program that runs on the NXT brick and finally this program directly the speed and direction of the various motors.

This implementation is custom written FCS created inLabVIEW. The user input comes from a WiiMote Controller and Wii Balance Board via Bluetooth instead of USB. The Bluetooth message delivery in thisimplementation is 2 only bytes of information that are sent separately to Mailboxes #1 & #2. The program running on the NXT brick is a modifiedversion of the NXT-G code that was written by Hitechnic. The original implementation used their NXT IRReceiver Sensor (NIR1032) and a LEGO PowerFunctions IR Comptroller to relay user input. I had to use a custom “Text to Number” function block to get it to work.

The WiiMote VIs call a .net assembly called WiimoteLib.dll(Version 1.7).

Refer to the attached zip file for instructions on how to set up the system, operating instructions, and LabVIEW Code.

Comments
Philbot
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Hi

I saw this coll 'bot demonstrated at the FIRST World Chamionship, and I wanted to try to replicate it.

When I unzipped the attachment, it only has the top level of the NXT program.  All the MyBlock subroutines are misising.

Are these available as a Pack and Go file so I can undersatnd the underlying NXT code?  (I'd like to replicate in LVLM)

Phil.

Get a life? This IS my life!
Contributors