FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for help with funds for getting started?

I'm interested in starting a robotics group at an area High School.  Any suggestions for getting funds to purchase the hardware/software to get started?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,378 Views)

I would have a look around the local area for some corporate sponsors.  Automation companies.  Engineering firms.  Companies that already do something related to robotics.  This can have the added secondary benefit of helping to find some mentors.

Beyond corporate sponsorship, there are plenty of other ways to raise funds.  Talk to other clubs in your school.

Back when I was in high school, the "pizza drive" was always a pretty successful fundraiser.  Everyone likes pizza. (..well almost everyone )

The members in the club all went home and got as many orders as they could for frozen pizzas at 10 small deluxe or pepperoni for $10.  At the end of the drive, all the members got together with a few adults and made up all the pizzas at once.  Then the orders were assembled and delivered by the members of the group. 

Be sure to check your math if you decide to do something similar.  You'll need to adjust for at least 20 years of inflation on my figures.

Good luck!

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 2 of 2
(2,655 Views)