From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make an autonomous action with a button

how can I make the robot move with a button to back one meter and activate engines in the teleop

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,794 Views)

Davidrj28,

It seems you're asking this question related to the FIRST Robotics Competition. I recommend you post your questions in that forum in the future: FIRST Robotics Competition Discussion 

Regarding your question: it will depend on if you are using the Command and Control Framework or not. For the former, your subsystem should be able to handle that request from a call. If you are not using Command and Control, then you can program a state machine. You can learn more about these here: 

Good luck to your team!

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,773 Views)

Adding on to Oscar, I'd suggest taking a look at using Periodic tasks if you aren't using Command and Control.  You're less likely to lockup your Teleop this way (Most programmers lock teleop until the autonomous tasks completes)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,657 Views)

I'd suggest the following (There are lots of different ways):

-  Put the code that writes the actions to the motors in periodic tasks.  In other words, read the a "speed demand" global variable, and turn this into a motor output.  This way teleop and auto don't have to have duplicate code.

- Create a generic "position control" vi.  See chap 7 (I think) of the secret book that was referenced above.

- When the button is pressed (edge detection) initialize what is needed for position control (get the current left and right drive distances, and calculate the final desired distance).

- While the button is pressed -- call the position control vi.  This will calculate a drive speed demand.  Write this to the global variables for periodic tasks to drive the drive motors.

- (The same thing can be done with the gyro instead of the encoders, to spin the robot 90 or 180 degrees or whatever...)

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,652 Views)

Can you post back or mark an accepted answer if you got this working?

If you're still struggling, take a look at

https://www.frclabviewtutorials.com/tutorials/producer-consumer/ for sending the "command"

(if a flat sequence is not sufficient, like if you need the ability to hit cancel, or repeat certain steps, replace that part with a state machine)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,562 Views)