From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO will not power up

Similar to this post

http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/6702

We suddenly started having issues with our cRIO before shipment this year.  I was away traveling, but the team was doing their final testing and the cRIO stopped powering up.

Before hand we started to see a large number of CAN bus communication errors (CAN timeout) with serial port read errors as the base issue.  We backed away from CAN bus and went back to PWM control.

They did find the main breaker power leads were lose, but not sure that would be enough of an intermittent issue to cause the cRIO to suddenly refuse to power up.

I am going to try and do some troubleshooting before I send it back in for repairs, but wondering if there is anything I can look at before hand, or if there are known issues where this happens.

Fortunately we have a second cRIO and was able to finish testing, but I am concerned if there is an issue on the power side, can this happen again.

Any thoughts or guidance would be helpful.

Thank you!

Randy

Team 1891

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,587 Views)

Hi,

My team always have an issue with the power connection to the cRIO. (we discovered a solid strand wire works best)

Also does the power board have all three lights green on it?

Did you test the other cRIO on that system to see if that would work?

Hope it gets fixed,

Davis Catherman

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,322 Views)

We have a solid 25v to the power connector, no lights come on (cRIO) all three are on the power DB, and the other cRIO we have powers up fine in its place.  We have tried it from two different power distribution board and different connectors/wire.

Does anyone know if there are any switches or combination of things that we might try?  All DIP switches are in the off possition right now.

Thanks!

Randy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,322 Views)

Howdy Randy!

If you connect power to the cRIO and none of the lights on the device turn on then it is likely your cRIO will need to be sent in for repair.  There are two things to do/check first:

1. Verify with a DMM that there is indeed 25V at the power connector when it is attached to the cRIO and that the connector is firmly seated.

2. Follow the steps described in this KnowledgeBase article to clean your cRIO.

If you have checked both of those and the cRIO power light still does not turn on then you will need to send the device in for repair.

Regards,

Barron

Barron
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,322 Views)

Thanks Baron.  Somehow we missed the gaskets in 2010.  I don't recall them in the kit of parts.  We will have to look again to see if we received them.  It is funny I was thinking about that yesterday as when I talked to the RMA team they mentioned shavings able to work their way into the case.  I thought it would be a good idea, and it must be as they are for sale *big grin*.

But our unit is in the hands of the repair team as we speek, so hopefully they will be able to get it fixed for us.

THanks!

Randy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,322 Views)