FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO interrupted during format

While doing the benchtop test of the new control system, the loading of the new software image on the cRIO was accidently interrupted when a network cable was jarred and came loose.

Here is the first call for help on ChiefDelphi

We were reimaging the cRIO device and our network cable came loose during the "Formatting CompactRIO device..." phase.

After restoring the network link, we can ping the DS (10.0.0.5), but cannot ping the cRIO (10.0.0.2).

On the cRIO the Status light is blinking orange and the power light is green.

Restarting the cRIO imaging tool says that No CompactRIO devices were found. Verify the network connection.

Looking for advice on how to proceed...

Thanks

With lots of help from the ChiefDelphi community, we were able to get back up and operational after about 5 hours of searching documentation, asking for help, and lots of educated trial and error.

Here is a summary of the relevant steps that we think led to a resolution

1. Do an IP Reset
set the IP Reset DIP switch on the cRIO to ON
push reset button on cRIO
Set the IP Reset DIP switch on the cRIO to OFF

2. Power off the cRIO, then Power it back on
2a. Turn off your computer's firewall
3. Connect to computer to the cRIO using the crossover cable
IP Address on computer 10.0.0.6 SubNet 255.0.0.0
4. Run MAX (Measurement and Automation) to reset IP address (it is now 0.0.0.0) on the cRIO
Tools\NI-Serial\Ethernet Device Configuration
This should find the cRIO and show the MAC address
5. Click Properties and set the IP Address to 10.0.0.2 SubNet 255.0.0.0
6. In MAX, click Remote Systems and then F5 to refresh and you should now see the cRIO.
7. Expand the cRIO under Remote Systems,click on Software, and click on Add/Remove software
Reload the NI-RIO 2.4.1 software

At this point you should be able to return to the FRC cRIO Imaging Tool and flash the cRIO

99. Turn your firewall back on

Oh yeah, and one final step that seemed to work, we switched computers. When we did that everything worked fine.

Finally a support team lead from NI recommended that I also document our experience here on NI's forums. I think that was a great suggestion, and also offer some suggested UI and DOC improvements

What makes reformatting the cRIO scary was the stories I have heard about how carefully the benchtest procedures have to be followed or you could brick your system. We were way off the beaten path, and it was our first time with the cRIO, so we had no idea if we were going to be able to load software onto the cRIO after a format in safe mode. Then the format ran for 20 minutes without any type of feedback whether it was making progress or not. We finally had to close the "formatting" message box without having any idea if it was still working or complete. Fortunately there were no ill effects from doing that.

I know it is tough to document everything or cover every use case. Some improvements that would have helped:

A progress bar on the formatting process to let us know how far it has progressed.

Perhaps the message box that pops up when the format in safe mode is kicked off could give an idea of how to proceed once the format is complete, i.e., point to the documentation on how to reload software. I had no idea if the cRIO was going to be wiped to the point I would not be able to load any of the base software.

Why is the Ethernet device search on the NI-Serial menu? I just happened to stumble across it while trying to figure out what to do.

It would be nice to be able to cut and paste from the error messages, especially when there is a long list of VIs in them.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(8,923 Views)

Thanks so much for this information and feedback.  In most cases, the process that you should follow when the cRIO is interrupted is as follows.

1. Flip the cRIO Safe Mod DIP switch into the ON position.

2. Reset the cRIO so that it boots into safe mode.

3. Disable safe mode by flipping the DIP switch to OFF.

4. Using the FRC cRIO Imaging Tool, format the controller by checking the "Format Controller" checkbox.  See the tutorial Using the FRC cRIO Imaging Tool for more information.

5. The FRC cRIO should automatically reboot and then you will be off and running again.

Happy Holidays!

Ben

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,577 Views)