FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between DVD and FRC Download?

We have been using the Labview 8.5.1 version you an download off the www.usfirst.org/frccontrolsystem site for over a month.  We downloaded and installed the FRCLabVIEWUpdate1.0.zip off the NI.com site when it was available over a week ago with no issues.  When we received our early control system, we noticed that the DVD disc 1 that came with the kit was blank.  I tried it on a few different PCs with the same result.  The second disk has content.  So the major question is:  How can I get a new set of DVDs?  The secondary question is: What is the difference between the Labview/cRIO content on the DVD and the 8.5.1/Update1.0 available on the download.  The major issue I am currently having using the downloaded version is that the cRIO updater is missing links to many .VIs and will not run properly.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(11,730 Views)

See this thread:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/1681?tstart=0

LV on the DVD is an extension of LV 8.5.1.  The update has to be applied to the DVD version.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,402 Views)

I would recommend handling the blank DVD the same way as any other parts problem (ie, see section 2.2.2 of the manual).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,402 Views)

So in your opinion, why would they keep a link on the FRC controller site that can't possibly have any real use?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,402 Views)

The link to the update is needed for the 500 teams that have received or will be receiving the early ship control system soon.

The link for LabVIEW is needed for the 1000 teams that will not be receiving the early ship control system, but want to learn LabVIEW in the meantime.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,402 Views)

I agree with your assesment.  It's just frustrating to have such a stupid roadblock in the way and no way to correct it until FRC can send me a new DVD set, In the meantime, our plans for the holiday break are shot.  Do you think there would be issues with a team posting the DVD content on an FTP site?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,402 Views)

The link to 8.5.1 was posted at the same time that the FRC license was released to all teams.
LV 8.5.1 is the release that was used to add all of the FRC specific features. 

So it makes sense to have that link so that all teams could use the same release to learn LV with a full license, not the evaluation version.

The version on DVD has all of the FRC specific additions.  They had to start producing the DVD prior to having all of the corrections identified by the beta program.

So the link to FRCLabVIEWUpdate1.0.zip is needed to bring the DVD to the next revision level.

I believe that it should have been noted that the update should not be applied to stock 8.5.1 only to the FRC specific version.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,402 Views)

I tend to agree with you that the FRC version should be posted so that everyone could start using it even if they can't execute anything.

I believe that I read that that is not going to happen.  You have to have the early delievery to get the FRC version.

We're have the same sorts of frustrations only it FedEx ground that is killing us.  That is ground as in ground to a halt.

Our box shipped on the 18th. Up until yesterday, it said we were going to get delievery today.  Then it changes to Friday, which means Monday because the school is closed Friday.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,402 Views)

When you say "I believe that it should have been noted that the update should not be applied to stock 8.5.1 only to the FRC specific version."  Do you mean "It was in the documentation... you should really learn how to read." or "I wish they would add that to the documentation so that teams don't get the wrong idea and waste countless hours on trying to get something to work".  I hope you mean the second one, beacuse I always thought I was good at reading the direction

Either way I think it should be bolded on the NI link and add:

Description

This software is the first mandatory update for the LabVIEW portion of the FIRST Robotics Competition Software 2009. You MUST install this update in order to compete in the FIRST Robotics Competition. THIS MUST BE INSTALLED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE FRC VERSION OF 8.5 THAT CAME ON THE DVD in the KOP, AND NOT ON THE PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE VERSION 8.5.1 FROM THE NI FTP SITE!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,402 Views)

I came within a heartbeat of doing the same thing that you did.  I was saved because I posted that the update was available and had anyone tried it on chief delphi.  Before I actually installed the update, I was warned that it only worked on the FRC version.

I believe that your description should be used to update the FIRST web site immediately!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,402 Views)