FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the LabVIEW Resources available to team members and mentors?

I am new to the FRC community, and I am trying to come up to speed and learn robotics as quickly as possible to work in some capacity as a volunteer.

I downloaded the frc.chm help file and noted that so far help information is only available for the First Vision VIs and PID VIs; however, no information has been released in the help file for the WPI Robotics Library VIs. Do you have an estimated time when they may be available?

It is my understanding that all FRC Team members will be permitted to download a copy of LabVIEW 8.5.1. and will be able to install a license that will allow them to use the software for a period of 1 year. However, that downloaded software does not currently include the First Vision, PID, and WPI Robotics Library VIs. Will every team member and mentor get a copy of these robotic specific VIs once available for the same 1 year period? Are these robotic specific Vis accessible on any computer if it is not actually connected to the camera and cRIO?

I am asking these questions to get an idea how to effectively teach LabVIEW Programming to newcomers in First who did not have the opportunity to work with the new system on beta evalution teams.

Thank You, Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(11,385 Views)

Jim,

The latest help file (frc.chm) available to download contains documentation for all of the VIs in the WPI robotics library. I am aware that we cannot yet view the documentation for the VIs that make up the PID and Vision palettes in the current document. I am working with one of our tech writers to resolve this. We hope to post the full LabVIEW FRC Edition 2009 help document (including FIRST Vision, PID, and WPI Libraries) soon.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Mark,

Contrary to your response, I continue to find none of the WPI Robotics Library VIs help topics populated in the latest released frc.chm help file.

Also you didn't answer any of my other questions:

It is my understanding that all FRC Team members will be permitted to download a copy of LabVIEW 8.5.1. and will be able to install a license that will allow them to use the software for a period of 1 year. However, that downloaded software does not currently include the First Vision, PID, and WPI Robotics Library VIs. Will every team member and mentor get a copy of these robotic specific VIs once available for the same 1 year period? Are these robotic specific Vis accessible on any computer if it is not actually connected to the camera and cRIO?

I am asking these questions to get an idea how to effectively teach LabVIEW Programming to newcomers in First who did not have the opportunity to work with the new system on beta evalution teams.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Jim,

I would like you to check and see if the behavior of you help file (frc.chm) matches what I am seeing. When clicking on one of the top level trees in the help I can see the corresponding documentation, but when clicking on one of the actual pages associated with a particular VI (from PID in my case and WPI Lib in yours) the help page does not show up. Instead it continues showing the same page.

I apologies for not answering your other questions in your previous post I hope I can completely address them now.

jim_berger@baxter.com wrote:

It is my understanding that all FRC Team members will be permitted to download a copy of LabVIEW 8.5.1. and will be able to install a license that will allow them to use the software for a period of 1 year. However, that downloaded software does not currently include the First Vision, PID, and WPI Robotics Library VIs. Will every team member and mentor get a copy of these robotic specific VIs once available for the same 1 year period?

The copy of LabVIEW available on the FIRST website does not contain the FIRST Vision, PID and WPI robotics Libraries. LabVIEW 8.5.1 FRC Edition will include all of these libraries. This version of LabVIEW will not be available for download. Teams will instead recieve this software with thier kit of parts on January 3rd.

LabVIEW FRC Edition includes a 1 year activation license for up to 25 machines, but nothing will prevent you from installing the software more than 25 machines.

jim_berger@baxter.com wrote:

Are these robotic specific VIs accessible on any computer if it is not actually connected to the camera and cRIO?

These VIs are accessable from the LabVIEW functions palette even if you are not currently connected to a cRIO. This being said, the VIs in WPI Lib and Vision palettes will only work if they are targeted and deployed to a cRIO-FRC.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Mark

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,315 Views)

I just wanted to expand upon one item so to avoid any confusion.

If a team is signed up to recieve the early shipment of the "control kit" they will also be receiving LabVIEW for FRC. All teams who are not receiving the control kit in the early shipment will receive it with the rest of their kit of parts at kit off on January 3rd.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the fast response. On my work computer I happen to have LabVIEW 8.6 Professional version with the Vision Module and Control Module.

When I open the frc.chm file with or without opening LabVIEW 8.6, for all levels of the WPI Robotics Library VIs sub-tree, I get the following page titled:

The page cannot be displayed

For the FIRST Robotics Competition VIs, First Vision VIs, and PID VIs, the headings only in those portions of the tree give the same page as described above. However, for the actual help for each First Vision VI and PID VI, I do get the expected help information. Maybe thats because I do have those modules on my work computer.

I am currently getting the correct help information for the First Vision VIs and PID VIs. I get "The page cannot be displayed" for all of the WPI Robotics Library VIs.

For my other question, what I am trying to clarification, is this. Currently unless I actually have a piece of equipment like a cDAQ device with various data acquisition modules installed and connected to my computer, none of the measurement data acquisition VIs are available to use in my block diagram even though I have the full LabVIEW 8.6 and latest NI-DAQ software loaded. So I assume that the same will be true for the 25 copies of LabVIEW 8.5.1 with FRC VIs, in that any VI related to data acquisition or control will not be available unless the cRIO or Camera are actually connected to one computer at a time. Each of those VIs related to data acquisition and control will show up with a question mark on everybody elses computer not connected to hardware. Is this in fact true?

What I am trying to do is account for this, if it is true, in order to share LabVIEW VIs in LabVIEW, instead of using HTML or RTF files.

My thoughts were to take the information from the HELP files and build at first dummy or empty VIs for each of the acquisition and control VIs and use the same ICON adding a small "sim" for simulation to differentiate it. I could initially just populate the respective VI with nothing more than the controls and indicators. Then each student could actually build complete VIs with the simulated VIs staying in the real LabVIEW environment. That way all 25 students could fully and easily work out any robotics idea they have in the LabvIEW environment. When they are ready to try out their idea, they connect to the equipment and replace the simulated VIs with the real VIs, which would only take a few minutes. A next step for the students throughout the remainder of their licensed year, could be work on programming simulators for each of the acquisition and control VIs as mini learning projects. I am open to building all of the blank VIs as a start and making them available to all the FRC community; but It could be about 20 to 40 hours work, that I don't want to do if there is a better solution that I am unaware of at this time.

Do any of the other beginning mentors or students think this would be helpful? Please let me know.

Best Regards,

Jim Berger

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Jim,

@ jim_berger@baxter.com wrote:

When I open the frc.chm file with or without opening LabVIEW 8.6, for all levels of the WPI Robotics Library VIs sub-tree, I get the following page titled:

#

The page cannot be displayed

For the FIRST Robotics Competition VIs, First Vision VIs, and PID VIs, the headings only in those portions of the tree give the same page as described above. However, for the actual help for each First Vision VI and PID VI, I do get the expected help information. Maybe thats because I do have those modules on my work computer.

I believe you can resolve your issue with the help file by following these steps:

1. If you cannot view the content of the file after downloading, right-click the CHM, and select Properties from the shortcut menu.
  2. In the Properties dialog box under the Security section click the Unblock button.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

@ jim_berger@baxter.com wrote:

For my other question, what I am trying to clarification, is this. Currently unless I actually have a piece of equipment like a cDAQ device with various data acquisition modules installed and connected to my computer, none of the measurement data acquisition VIs are available to use in my block diagram even though I have the full LabVIEW 8.6 and latest NI-DAQ software loaded. So I assume that the same will be true for the 25 copies of LabVIEW 8.5.1 with FRC VIs, in that any VI related to data acquisition or control will not be available unless the cRIO or Camera are actually connected to one computer at a time. Each of those VIs related to data acquisition and control will show up with a question mark on everybody else's computer not connected to hardware. Is this in fact true?

This is not true. The VIs that make up the FIRST Vision, PID, and WPI Lib palettes will be available to a user of the LabVIEW FRC Package even if they do not have a cRIO-FRC connected to their computer. Please keep in mind that although we can access these VIs without a cRIO-FRC connected to the development machines they will not run unless they have been targeted to run on the cRIO-FRC.

As for you idea of creating a simulated WPI Lib - I think this is excellent idea. Open source teaching and training tools are highly encouraged by FIRST and NI. I hope you can post your VIs here. I would also like to point you to a similar set of VIs developed by some FIRST mentors that has been...

Thanks,

Mark

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,315 Views)

Thank You So Much Mark!

The Unblock button worked and I can now see all help VIs.

I will download the simulation VIs you identified this weekend. I happen to have an NI USB-6008 which is called out for those simulations. This weekend I will go through their VIs and figure out what I can do to add to the knowledge. I have worked with cDAQ and am now working on my first project with NI Single Board RIO, so I think I can make the conversion to cRIO pretty fast. I will also start working on the idea of a simulated WPI Library and share what I come up with all.

I just ordered the Robotic Arm Trainer from Edmund Scientific since I am new to robotics, and should receive it by mid next week. I will see if I can operate that with LabVIEW as a training exercise also.

Thanks Again Mark, Now I feel like I can do something.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,315 Views)