From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running sample programs on laptop only ... ?

I'm strictly a mechanical guy (but trying to learn) so please pardon my ignorance ... not even sure if this question makes any sense ...

If I want to run a labview program that is "designed" to run on the cRIO, but I don't have access to the cRIO - and want to run the program just on my laptop to check out the look/feel/functionality, is there a way to do that?  I have tried opening some of the examples to modify and expirement with, but cannot run because they want to download to the cRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,683 Views)

The WPI Robotics Library is completely dependent on the hardware inside the cRIO. Most of the rest of LabVIEW is not. I've tested several non-hardware dependent algorithms on my computer, and then copied the code to the cRIO project.

If you want to play with one of the included WPI Robotics Library examples on your computer, you would need to move the example from the cRIO portion of the project to the My Computer portion. Then you would need to delete the WPI Robotics Library VIs and replace them with LabVIEW front panel objects. For example, you could replace the get analog value with a dial control, and the motor output with a slider indicator.

Since most of the included examples are so simple, there may not be much value added by doing that, but it certainly can be useful at other times. The real value (in my opinion) of the examples is seeing how everything gets wired in LabVIEW, and seeing it run on the cRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,366 Views)