FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoboRIO status led always blink

I tried to update the roboRIO but it started to mark errors and suddenly the status LED started to blink constantly, I have read that there is a way to recover it with a USB but I have not found anything, I have tried to communicate to the phone that is in the forum but I have not been successful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,518 Views)

We are getting the same error, and have had trouble with our PCM as well.  Hopefully someone can direct us to methods or tools to remedy the issues. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,303 Views)

If the Status LED is continuously blinking, I recommend you try putting it in safe mode and seeing if the behavior is the same. Hopefully in safe mode (Status LED blinking 3 times) we can use the imaging tool to format the device. I recommend trying a second computer if you can't make the first one image the device successfully after a few tries. You can also find other troubleshooting steps here: FRC Firmware Update Failing 

If the Status LED is continuously blinking, regardless of the device being in safe mode or not, then I definitely recommend trying to reach out to us by phone, so we can proceed with the USB method you speak about. If you're located in Mexico, you can also call into our 01 800 010 0793 number and ask to be routed to the FIRST Robotics Support queue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,280 Views)

I did call US helpline number, since I'm in Michigan. I am unable to get through to anyone so left a message.

I cannot get the roborio to go into safe mode, the status light just continues to blink constantly, instead of in groups of three, if it were in safe mode. I am awaiting a return phone call to deal with my issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,277 Views)

thank you we will try to get in touch by phone

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,269 Views)

I called the NI technical center where they gave me a series of steps to do the procedure with usb, but the problem persists, only now I tried to update a second robor and now I have two that don't work for me

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,163 Views)

That sounds very strange, Teravolts. Was the second roboRIO working properly before the reimaging? Was it imaged with the same computer? I wonder if something is wrong in the installation, or there's something else in the machine that is making the imaging tool work incorrectly (firewall, antivirus, other software or service in the background, school/company Windows policy…)

I advise trying in a different computer, if you can get the device to enter safe mode with the USB recovery tool. Did you also tried a powered USB hub between the roboRIO and the USB memory drive?

Worst case scenario, we would need to RMA the roboRIO and that process will take some good time. We wouldn't like you to be without the resource for so ling during build season.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,150 Views)

We had a similar issue, and using a 2GB flash drive we were able to recover the roborio, and update the firmware using the original laptop.  We could not get the re-imaging to work on that laptop, even with doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of both labview and the game tools.  Ended up having to use another laptop where it did work to re-image the roborio.

If there are any answers to why one laptop would allow the re-imaging and another not to, we would like to know as well.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,148 Views)

thanks for answering, we use two different computers for each process, we already tried with a powered usb hub but we have no changes, it was already tried with different memories and there is no change. How can the RMA be ordered if we have no other option, are two roborios

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,125 Views)

The RMA status and submission needs to be done with the Technical Support Engineer that handled your case when you called in.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,120 Views)