From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with testing the speed controller and running the motor.

Hello everyone, my name is Xavier and I have been doing robotics for 5 years now.

My team has received the new controller system and we started connecting everything together. We are just trying to make a motor move without the joystick for now.

We are having a problem with the speed controller receiving information from the programming or from the digital sidecar. We are not sure which one it is but I think it is from the programming since the speed controller is getting power from power distribution block and the pwm cable is connected to the right port.

The light on the speed controller is blinking yellow which makes me think that the programming is wrong since that means that the speed controller is not receiving any information.

Everything is powered (the pdb, speed controller, crio, driver station and the digital sidecar lights are on) and connected to each other (power distribution block wired to the driver station through an ethernet cable, ds connect to the pc with ethernet cable, switch on ds is connected, speed controller is connected to the first pwm channel on the digital sidecar).

If someone can help us by checking over the program that is attached to make sure everthing is correct that would be helpful. We have tried messing around with the program by changing the speed to 100 and back to 0, testing it with a jaguar instead of a speed controller and messing around with the watchdog. Nothing seem to change the lights on the speed controller or jaguar. Maybe the problem is the wiring? Evertything seem to be powered and pwm cable is connected to the first port (black wire facing out).

We have not updated the driver station update software yet. Can that have been the problem?

I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,185 Views)

Section 1.6 of the manual defines the order that things HAVE to be done.

Section 1.6.5 has you update both the cRIO and the Driver Station before you do any programming (section 1.6.7). You almost certainly identified your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,456 Views)

Dear Xavier M,

Please let us know if the update(s) to the driver station and/or the cRIO solved the problem.

In situations similar to this where it is not certain whether the problem is in the hardware (connections, configuration, etc...) or in the programming, it would be advisable to use the example VIs that ship with LabVIEW FRC. You can find these examples from the lower right corner of the LabVIEW getting started window. Using these examples for testing ensures that you are running working code, and you can focus on the hardware and configuration side of things.

Best Regards,

Nate

NI FIRST Support

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,456 Views)