From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connection with cRio when trying to Create a Stand-Alone FRC Application

I am trying to create a Stand-Alone application and the cRio is losing communications.

I am able to run Robot main within Labview to test the code and confirm that the robot is responding correctly.  I then build the applicaton.  After building, it I run deploy or "Run as Startup" from the drop-down menu I recieve the Lost Communicatons with the cRio dialog and the applications stops deploying.

I had previously deployed an application as startup.

Is there something I need to check to make sure the communications are correct for the build. The laptop's IP is 10.10.94.6 (team 1094).  What changes would need to be done to connect the PC directly to the cRio so that the wireless communications are taken out the equation.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,939 Views)

Hello mgurgol,

I would be interested to see the behavior when you connect you cRIO and Laptop directly using a crossover cable.  As long as you have your Laptop set up with a static IP address set up with the correct static IP address as specified in the Control System Manual.  This should allow you to download the code down to your cRIO without worrying about the wireless connection.  The other question that I had for you, is if you try to deploy the code to your cRIO and it says "Lost Communication" do you immediately exit the deployment?  I have seen a few situations where this message appears but if you do not exit out of the deployment, eventually the connection will be reestablished and the deployment will finish.  This can occur when the network connection is starved due to the deployment of the code.  Connection via a crossover cable should improve your results and hopefully you will not lose connection.  Please let me know how these tests work out for you and I will be happy to assist you further if needed.  I look forward to hearing from you!  Have a great day!

Thanks!

Bob

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,570 Views)

I tried using the crossover cable directly into the cRio and it worked perfectly.

When I tried to deploy using the wireless connection, and waiting about a minute or so when the disconnected message displayed, it worked, but said that it had deployed with errors.  I have not been able to see where the errors would be, but the robot ran fine.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions,

Mark G

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,570 Views)

Attempting to load code again and I am still having issues.

I am running the Advanced project in Labview, and cannot set the built code to run at startup.

I am connecting from my PC with the cross-over cable to the cRio.
The build properties:
Information tab
Build Specification name:FRC Robot Boot-up Deployment
Target filename: startup-rtexe
Local destination directory: C:\robot
Target destination directory: c:\ni-rt\startup
Build specificaton description:Advanced 4 motor drive

Robot_main is selected in the Source Files tab.

I have been able to deploy the built executable once about a week ago, but I can no longer deploy code to 'run as Startup'

I am able to run the Robot Main through Labview and everything works great, but I just cannot deploy the newly built application.

IP address of the cRio: 10.10.94.2
IP address of the PC: 10.10.94.6

When I attempt to run as startup, it gives me a warning page saying that some vi's will be refreshed by this procedure, which should be fine since I am replacing code in the cRio.

I then get a list of files that were downloaded to the cRio, along with a failure message (deploy failed).  If I scroll up the list, I see the message:
FRC Robot Boot-up Deployment (failed to deploy)

Has anyone seen this error?
Is there a log file somewhere that would tell me why it failed to deploy?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,570 Views)