FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lab View Error Question - Unable to download to NXT (even the "Play Sound" simple example)

I am starting working with LabView and the NXT. I loaded labview 8.5 (from the FTC kit), loaded the labview and lego addons, updated the nxt and lego software, update the nxt firmware. The NXT Module recognizes the NXT attachment when attempting to download a program (even the play a sound initial program) I recieve the following error:

===================================================================

Error 1003 occurred at Invoke Node in NXTToolkit.CompileOrCancel.vi->NXTToolkit.TargetAgent.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The VI is not executable. Most likely the VI is broken or one of its subVIs cannot be located. Open the VI in LabVIEW using File>>Open and verify that it is runnable.

Method Name: Run VI

VI Path: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\addons\NXTToolkit\gcompiler\Backend.LEGO\NXT.Compiler.Core.vi
===================================================================

and a dialog box arises with continue and stop options:

(1) selecting Stop brings up the following dialog

NXTToolkit.TargetAgent.vi is password-protected.  Enter the password to access the block diagram.

(2) Selecting Continue makes the nxt beep twice but the program is not downloaded

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(12,730 Views)

I'll update my post.  I tried this:  Upload a sample program from the NXT to the laptop, rename it, and then downloaded it to the NXT. This works. It must be the compilation process failing.

The connection to the NXT is USB. I can rename the NXT and run stored programs from the NXT Terminal as well as update the firmware. The connection to the NXT from LabVIEW is working. I have updated the three patches from NI (two controller, Encoder, sketch and example), Additionally I have gone through the 'repair' process for the installation. The repair process is available through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. The only time I get the error listed is when I try to compile/download/run to the NXT using the NXT Terminal. I have also tried the compile/download without the run from the NXT Terminal. Same error.

The compilation process must be failing

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,189 Views)

Mike,

I am looking into this for you.  I would like you to try one thing in the meantime - I want you to mass compile this NXT libraries on your machine.

1. To mass compile go to Tools >> Advance >> Mass Compile...
  2. Navigate the the NXT Toolkit directory at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\addons\NXTToolkit

If you would like to learn more about mass compiling please see this Knowledge Base Article.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
-Mark

Message was edited by: BLAQmx

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,189 Views)

On the first installation of LabVIEW (before I tried the repair installation app (NI app) in the add/remove programs of Control Panel) I did the mass compile.  No change in error code upon attempting the compile/download/run.  I will do it again just for fun...

Just as an update for you.

The Laptop and the NXT are communicating fine.  I can update firmware.  Download apps from the NXT to the laptop.  Upload apps from the laptop to the NXT.  I believe the error is in the compile action.  I have noticed one additional quirk.  When the error occurs and the dialog open up with the contine and the stop options, if you select continue, the NXT beeps and a file with no name but the extension of .rxe is on the NXT and is of size 0.0 KB.

Also FYI:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Computer:

AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile

Technology MK-36

2.01 GHz, 1.96 GB of Ram

Physical Address Extension

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,189 Views)

Update...  Mass compiled as per instructions.   No change.  We are at a standstill programming wise.  I've tried everything I can think of and am currently at a complete loss...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,189 Views)

Mike,

You have definitely thrown everything including the kitchen sink at this problem.  I am going to make it a priority to speak with one of our NXT developers regarding this issue Monday morning. If you can sit tight over the weekend I can get you a solution ASAP. 

Mark

NI FIRST Support

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,189 Views)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your patience with the troubleshooting steps you have already taken.  The "VI is not executable" error may indicate that some of the software did not install properly.  You mentioned going through the repair process, I assume for LabVIEW.  Have you tried to completely uninstall and reinstall the software?

Besides the online FTC updates, did you install anything other than the software included on the FTC CD?

I would suggest doing the following:

1. Uninstall LabVIEW and any other FTC-related software listed (Control Panel » Add or Remove Programs » National Instruments Software » Remove).

2. Reinstall the software on the FTC CD.

3. Make sure the correct firmware is loaded.

4. Try to compile and download a program.  Even without the updates installed, you should be able to compile a basic program.

5. If that is successful, apply the FTC updates.  

Please do post back with the results.  Hopefully those steps will solve everything.

Regards,

Jennifer

NI FIRST Supporter

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,189 Views)