FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing LabVIEW on Wine?

I've been trying to install LabVIEW 2012 using the official disc from the kit on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal with Wine 1.5.20, though some components failed to install resulting in a defective installation of the NI-RIO installation. So now, my installation partially works as I can open and edit individual SubVIs, but I can't edit a complete FRC project.

I've been wondering if anyone knows how to fix those issues and if anyone has successfully managed to install LabVIEW including the FRC updates on a Linux platform. I know that many IDE's out there would require me to use a virtual machine rather than a simple compatibility layer, but for now, LabVIEW is the only IDE that I need to work with which doesn't either have a native alternative or works with Wine, so I wanted to try and fix that before giving into installing a VM.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(8,575 Views)

Several of the LabVIEW Components (most notably the real time module) won't run natively on Linux.  Ultimately I think you will save yourself a lot of time getting a Windows VM together.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
Message 2 of 3
(3,509 Views)

I've set a VM up, hope it'd get fixed eventually in one of the next seasons though, at least as far as Wine support is concerned if not in the form of a native Linux release. It's kinda bumming to set a VM for a single IDE

Message 3 of 3
(3,509 Views)