From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forward and Reverse on Spike for Motor Control

Solved!
Go to solution

We want to use the Spike Relay to control a motor forward and reverse. 

We are using Labview and have opened the Relays as Both Directions

The Relays are connected to the Relay output of the Digital Breakout Board

We can get forward to work just fine but using Reverse or Both Directions seems to have no effect. 

Can you advise what we need to try?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,998 Views)

One thing that you could try would be to implement the replay example that is in the example finder.  Can you get that to work?  Verify to make sure that you are making all of the proper connections.  You can also check this forum post as well.  http://decibel.ni.com/content/message/15132#15132.  Let us know if you make any progress.

Brandon T.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,753 Views)

At first glance, your LabVIEW implementation looks correct.  I would do a couple of troubleshooting steps to see if it is the hardware or the software.  For starters, watch the relay outputs on the Digital Sidecar; there are LEDs next to them that indicate the Forward or Reverse signal being requested by the cRIO.  If the LEDs are operating correctly, I would double check the polarity of the signal wires from the Digital Sidecar to the Spikes.  I believe if signal wires are reveresed the Spike will turn ON in one direction but not the other.

Todd S.

Mentor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,753 Views)

Thanks. We never see a red led on the sidecar in response to a reverse command on any channel.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,753 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarkGryzwa3206

hey,

our team's sidecar has some red led in the the relay area. I think it is just broken. try a different digital side car

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,753 Views)

Turns out it was a defective Digital Sidecar.  New one made it work. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,753 Views)