FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Station Watch Dog / Motor Won't Spin Issue

We are able to get our joystick to work just fine.  We can’t seem to get our motors to turn on.  The controller and driver station have been updated with the latest version, the Watch Dog LED is on solid on the digital side car when the system boots and driver station is enabled, watch dog is blinking when driver station is disabled, no errors and things seem to be fine.

The issue is after I download any code to the cRIO the watch dog LED is off.  This is an undefined state.  We tried to run the “User Watch Dog” example program included in the FRC build.  The “User Watch Dog is Alive” is true but can’t get the “System is Active” GUI LED to go true.  What are we doing wrong?  I am an experienced developer and everything looks great except the Watch Dog LED on the digital side car is off and the motors won’t spin.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,079 Views)

Hi Matt,

Did I happen to talk to you on the phone about this on service request 1321377? (Team 2856)

The LED should never go dark. If it goes dark when you run your code, I'm thinking there is either a bad image on the cRIO, a bad digital sidecar, a bad digital module, or a bad cRIO.

Try swapping digital sidecars, digital modules, and digital module position (slot 4 or 6). If this has no effect, try reimaging your cRIO from another computer to rule out the image on your computer.

If that doesn't work, call in and we will troubleshoot it on the phone.

Sorry about the troubles!

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,552 Views)

StephenB,

No, I have not called this in.  I agree, something is really wrong.  One thought was I flashed the cRIO and driver station with my PC and tried to program the cRIO with another PC.  I am thinking that we don't have the some software version on both PCs.  We are meeting again tonight and will post what we find.  We tried swapping digital modules and that did not help.

Thanks for you response,

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,552 Views)

Ah ok. I talked to someone on the phone with the same issue.

He actually did the same thing with the two computers. I told him to make absolutely sure that both computers have update 2. Otherwise your imaging the cRIO with one version of the software and developing on it with another... and if it does not match... bad things happen.

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,552 Views)

Confirmed! Issue caused by mismatched software.  Student didn't update his software as instructed.  All is good now that update is installed.

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,552 Views)