FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Requirements

My team is buying new computers next year. We were wondering what type of requirements are needed on a computer for all the stuff to work. I know I could have just researched this, but I don't know exactly what stuff we will be getting.

For example, I know that pretty much any XP computer will run LabVIEW 8.5, but what are the requirements for the vision system, the wireless router, the cRio, and the drivers for all of these things, plus other things that I don't know about? Also, what are the recommended requirements that would make everything run smoothly and quickly?

Thank you very much for any replys.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(18,467 Views)

Hi,

I am not sure about the system requirements for the hardware that FIRST will be providing. But from the National Instruments side of things, the recommended system requirements for the NI harware would be as follows:

Component

Minimum

Recommended

Processor

Pentium III/Celeron 866Mhz or equivalent

Pentium 4 M or equivalent

RAM

256 MB

1 GB

Screen

Resolution

1024 X 768 pixels

1024 X 768 Pixels

OS

Windows is recommended

Windows is recommended

Disk Space

1.8 GB

1.8 GB minimum,

I hope this helps!

Thanks

Mehak Dinesh

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Mehak D.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,323 Views)

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have one question: could you clarify that these requirements for all NI hardware and software that you sell? It seems like that, but I just wanted to make sure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,323 Views)

National Instruments sells a wide range of hardware and software. These specifications do not encapsulate everything that National Instruments sells. However, it is pertinent to the requirements for the National Instruments hardware and software that will be provided for FIRST.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mehak Dinesh

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Mehak D.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,323 Views)

Could you provide a link to a webpage where I can find all of this information? I would like to like to provide this link to my team so that they can go there without having to go to this discussion.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,323 Views)

I got my lazy rear end into gear and found it myself.

http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements.htm

Thanks for all of your help!

EDIT: actually, these are the requirements for LabVIEW, which I didn't only want; I wanted the requirements for anything else that we would use. I should have remembered what I was looking for. Oh well, I'll keep these in mind and the nice handy table that was posted above as well. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,323 Views)

When you say that windows is recommended, Is it possible to get a license/download of the Mac OSX version of Labview (as our school provides us macbooks, and it would be nice to not have to pay for licenses for windows, along with disrupting the Tech people too much for various things (they run a tight ship, and licenses for mac would allow each of the programmers to work on the programming outside of school.)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,323 Views)

LabVIEW RT only runs on windows, and is needed to program for the cRIO.

Several people have used parallels or other machine emulators to run windows and program the robot.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,323 Views)

Right. I understand we could use parallels or Vmware fusion to run windows inside virtual machines, but this is simply too expensive. A windows XP license itself costs ~$150, not to mention the parallels license. The cRio can connect with the mac version of labview, and the vi's should be cross platform (unless programmed badly). Can someone at NI get us licenses/ a download of the OSX version. Out team doesn't have an extra $1000 to spend on windows licenses, not to mention the tech admins going red in the face with rage.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,323 Views)