From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of LabView *STILL* not working

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69996&highlight=apollorest

It was suggested that I post my question here. The link above details my issues with the activation of LabView. thanks for any help you can offer!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(11,765 Views)

I don't know if this will confuse the issue or not but I am also having a similar problem.

After spending slightly more than an hour with 6 different people from NI I have come to the following conclusion...

There are 3 different "level" of access to the LabView program.  There is the normal 30 day trial version; there is the "FRC - till Jan 2010" trial version; and there is the "activated" version.  My understanding is that through the FRC, we, the competitors, are getting an extended trial version (the FRC - till Jan 2010).  In a quick conversation with one tech person it sounded like if we were able to "activate" the version we had we would have it till the end of time.  NI has graciously put a license together that act as a 1+ year free "subscription" to the program.

I think what we, the competitors, are needed to see and possibly understand is that we will be using a fully functional "trial version" of the program.  Instead of a note saying the trial version will expire in 30 days, I think we are expecting to see something about it expiring in December 31, 2009 or Jan 1 2010.

For my part, I have installed and uninstalled the program a couple of times with no luck.  I have downloaded the license and added the .lic, all to no avail.  If I am doing something wrong I haven't figured it out yet.

Can someone let me know if my assumptions in the third paragraph are correct or am I just confused.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,751 Views)

Xrispy wrote:

There are 3 different "level" of access to the LabView program.  There is the normal 30 day trial version; there is the "FRC - till Jan 2010" trial version; and there is the "activated" version.  My understanding is that through the FRC, we, the competitors, are getting an extended trial version (the FRC - till Jan 2010).  In a quick conversation with one tech person it sounded like if we were able to "activate" the version we had we would have it till the end of time.  NI has graciously put a license together that act as a 1+ year free "subscription" to the program

This is correct.  The license file you are activating is actually "FIRST Robotic Competition" and not LabVIEW.  If you have not yet please look over this document conserning activation issues.  So far we have had a lot of success with the information in this document, but if these issues are not covered we will continue troubleshooting until we can find a solution.

If I were to guess what might be one of the causes of the issues is adding the .lic file extension without removing the .txt extention.  This may occur if your computer has been set to hide file extensions by default.  Please ensure you have done this and placed the .lic file in the correct directory.

If the activation document and my suggestions do not resolve this problem please describe in detail the work and troubleshooting you have already tried.  This will help support be as effecient as possible.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,751 Views)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have read and re-read and re-read it again and again without solving my issue. The hidden extension help was perfect. But I don't have the FRC listing. See the attached screen shot.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,751 Views)

So it sounds like for some reason License Manager is not finding the license file even though (I am assuming) you have placed it in the correct directory.  You can also add the license information to  License Manager by selection Options » Install License File... Navigate to the license file and select open.  You should now see the FIRST Robotics Competition in License Manager.

Let me know if this is a solution.

Mark
NI App Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,751 Views)

Bingo! Like a dream. Finally!! Thank you.

Following your suggestion the FRC entry finally appeared, then I right-clicked to activate. Now I have 418 days.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,751 Views)