Examples and IP for Software-Designed Instruments and NI FlexRIO

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Feedback wanted for PXIe-5840 Reference FPGA?

Hello,

[Question]

Is there any feedback wanted for PXIe-5840 Reference FPGA?  I played with it and enjoyed a lot, and above all I would like it to be more open for meny users so that more people can take benfit from NI's fantastic PXIe-5840 as no-limit SW designable instrument.  For those who are going to use it, I do not want them to be caught in traps which I put my foot on during my development.  So, would like to submit feedbacks if wanted. 

[Background]

I have recently customized FPGA on PXIe-5840 for my customer to achieve their prototype of Radar system.  In that system, four PXIe-5840 and two RAID 8266 were mainly used with customized processing on FPGA.  Above all, reference FPGA for PXIe-5840 is amazingly fantastic with respect to its design: what part of reference design are vailed so that developer won't be confused and mess up the baseline functionality of PXIe-5840, what part should be opened for users to customize their own processing.  While I do really appreciate its awesomeness as a product, I found some feedbacks for it. 

Osamu Fujioka
TRIONIX Inc.

CLED/CLA
LabVIEW FPGA and Software Designed Instrument Expert

Comments
Duvelle
on

This post is a little dated now, hopefully you will see this.  If you could put a document together with the "feedback" you mentioned that would be great.  I hope to work with the 5840 soon and would prefer to avoid any gotchas you've already uncovered and worked around.  I am curious about how much data (throughput) you were moving between the 5840's and the 8266's, hardware configurations and data flow.  How much instantaneous bandwidth were you transmitting/receiving?

Thanks in advance,

-Phil

UMASO
on

Hello Duvelle, 

Thanks for your comments.  5840 reference design is not available in public.  Therefore, I guess any feedback about it should be offline.  

>I am curious about how much data (throughput) you were moving between the 5840's and the 8266's, hardware configurations and data flow.  How much instantaneous bandwidth were you transmitting/receiving?

In that project, FPGA calculated data were decimated by four.  Therefore, each PXIe-5840 provides 1.25 [GSps] * 4 [Byte/S] / 4 (decimation) = 1.25 [GB/sec].  We streamed the 1.25 [GB/sec] data stream from two PXIe-5840 into one 8266.  Therefore, one 8266 takes 2.5 [GB/sec] data.  We had two sets of this in one PXIe-1085 chassis.  So, total system throughput was 5 [GB/sec].  

Osamu

Sundar_DSPL
on

Hello Osamu Fujioka,

We have started working on 5840 custom FPGA programming. Just wanted to check with you which LabVIEW version did you use for your FPGA programming? Is it 2015 SP1? If yes, could you tell us how did you configure the FPGA bit file on host side?

Sundar_DSPL
on

Hello Osamu Fujioka,

We have started working on 5840 custom FPGA programming. Just wanted to check with you which LabVIEW version did you use for your FPGA programming? Is it 2015 SP1? If yes, could you tell us how did you configure the FPGA bit file on host side?

Sundar Ganesh

CLA

UMASO
on

Hello Ganesh

The version was LabVIEW 2015 SP1.  

Below is a part of block diagram of my initialization SubVI where custom bitfile is set to RFSG and RFSA driver.  The bitfile name is "Verify Complex Multiply by WGEN and SDG 262143.lvbitx".  

01 how to set custom bitfile to PXIe-5840.png

Would you contact your local NI representative?  I was once told that PXIe-5840 FPGA extension should be supported not in public but by your local support resource.  I will try to make someone contact you directly, but please get contact with somebody at your location.  

Regards,

maheshkumar0459
on

Hi Osamu Fujioka,

I want to use VST 5840 with labview 2018. From my sales representative i got Developer’s Guide to FPGA Extensions and modified fpga image accordingly and compiled code. But if I run rfsg/rfsa driver code I am getting error saying that 'the corresponding address space might not be instantiated and connected to the instruction frame work on the target'. I didn't understand the error n don't know what to do..

Attached is the error.

Thanks,

Mahesh

Radar Systems Engineer 

UMASO
on

Hi Mahesh, 

First of all, it may be better for you to contact NI support, because 5840 FPGA Extensions is not public component, and it may not be allowed to exchange any detailed information about it such as screenshot of block diagram, etc.  Secondly, the last time I modified 5840 design was on LabVIEW 2015.  So, situation may be different on 2018.  

As far as I can tell from your description, you tried to access a component on FPGA which does not exist.  At what API of RFSG or RFSA, do you get the error?  Below are the scenarios that I can think of to get that error.  

• you may have deleted some components of default FPGA design
  • or, you tried to access something that does not exist on default FPGA design

Instruction Framework is a great framework for users to develop and manage reusable components for NI FPGA devices, but it requires a certain knowledge and experiences of LabVIEW FPGA (https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Labs-Toolkits/Instruction-Framework-Tutorial/ta-p/3533500?profile.langua...)

Regards,

Contributors