From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Example Code

Transfer multiple channels of data through one DMA FIFO on FPGA

Products and Environment

This section reflects the products and operating system used to create the example.

To download NI software, including the products shown below, visit ni.com/downloads.

Hardware

• CompactRIO/SingleboardRIO

Software

• LabVIEW Real-Time Module
  • LabVIEW

Driver

• NI RIO

Code and Documents

Attachment

Description

Overview

Currently all NI compactRIO and R series targets have a limit of 3 DMA FIFOs to use for data transfer. If you use the Scan Engine on the cRIO, it will take up 2 DMA channels and only one will be available for use. However, you can still transfer multiple channels of data through one DMA FIFO using interleaving on FPGA and then decimating the array on the host.

Description

The following example shows how to transfer 3 channels of data from a 9205 module on the cRIO through one target-to-host DMA FIFO.

Requirements

LabVIEW 8.6 "or compatible"

LabVIEW 8.6 Real Time "or compatible"

LabVIEW 8.6 FPGA "or compatible"

NI-RIO 3.0 "or compatible"

Steps to Complete

On the FPGA target, we want to build an array of values from the channels we want to send over to the host. Then we feed this array to the FIFO Write function in a For Loop to sequentially write these values to the FIFO:

fpga.png

On the host side, we want to read out a number samples that is a multiple of the number of channels of data (so that we read an equal number of samples per each channel). Then we use the Decimate Array function to create an array of values for each original channel. In order to display this data on a Waveform Chart, we build a 2D array and transpose it in order to view the data correctly:

host.png

Additional Notes

Note that this architecture involves polling on the host side, so that the host VI will not be able to perform any other functions while waiting. You can modify this architecture to utilize interrupts. For more information, see the interrupt example in the Example Finder (Hardware input and output > compactRIO (or R Series) > FPGA Fundamentals > Host synchronization > interrupt method

**This document has been updated to meet the current required format for the NI Code Exchange.**

Misha

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Informative!!!

SuperDuperCooper
on

What is to stop the elements of the array becoming disordered when transmitted over the FIFO? Does the FIFO.Read method automatically sync to the first element of an array, or is it more of a dumb U32 in, U32 out FIFO?

zahnrad
on

Interleaving is nice - but what is a good practice to use more then one cModule for example: 9234, 9222, 9208 wich means: Sigma Delta, SAR with user-controlled I/O and SAR "native" with different Rates (51,2kS, 500kS and 500Hz)?

mishkin
NI Employee (retired)
on

Because of the difference in sampling rates, you can have a separate DMA FIFO for each of those modules. The only hard constraint is that you only have 3 DMA channels to work with, which means you can have a max of 3 FIFOs. This becomes especially difficult when you need one of those to communicate from RT to FPGA as well...

Misha
zahnrad
on

Thats the Problem. I try to use 3 (+1 User Mode I/O) while loops, put data in target fifos and then read the data of these fifos in a 5'th loop, finally write it to the target to host fifo - try worth or isn't?

mishkin
NI Employee (retired)
on

I'd say this is worth a try, as long as you have some sort of logic and can tell which samples came from which module. If you have more questions, I encourage you to post them on our discussion forum boards. There's one specifically for FPGA issues. Good luck!

Misha
mycai1028
on

Thank you for the example. Is the transpose block redundant? There is an example for NI 9223, "NI 9223 User-Controlled IO Sampling". It doesn't have the transpose block. I haven't run those codes myself. Just curious about it.

bjc120
on

hello, I would like to transfer multi analog signal (50 Hz) from FPGA to real time LabVIEW. 

I run the example  Transferring Multi-Channel Data in DMA Applications (FPGA Module),

however, I cannot see any signal at the front panel.

how can I determine samples to read per channel and loop time? or is there any example?