Example Code

Verify LabVIEW communication to ORTEC MCB (multi-channel buffer) hardware

Code and Documents

Attachment

Download All

Overview

ORTEC multi-channel buffer (MCB) devices can be controlled via LabVIEW using OCX components provided by the vendor with their Connections driver (also bundled with Maestro or Scintivision analytic products).

Description

This VI was written as a sanity check to verify device communications via LabVIEW--in our use case to the ORTEC DigiBase USB hardware. NOTA BENE: The VI WILL NOT RUN UNDER 64-bit LabVIEW. It will run under 32-bit LabVIEW on a 64-bit platform.

Hardware and Software Requirements

- An MCB device must be connected.

- The operator must know that device's driver-installation-time ID. That decimal integer must be presented as string to the Address property for the UMCBI Connection V2.ctl.

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

- The communication depends on proper registration of the vendor OCX component with the operating system. Vendor drivers prior to Connections 8 did not register the OCX components for you.

- The communication depends on successful import of the vendor OCX components into LabVIEW -- normally placed as controls on the .NET & ActiveX palette via the menu Tools > Import > ActiveX Controls to Palette...

Additional Information or References

TBD

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
themadgreek
on

Hi,

This sample code has been a great reference for me. I've been trying to create a new labview code for the ortec MCB on a different machine and i followed all the steps that you have mentioned. But i cannot see the UMCBI Active X control module on labview to start programming? Would you happen to have some insight on this problem? Hoping to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

theMadGreek

themadgreek
on

HI,

I tried running the code you put here to see if i can communicate with the device. I am getting these errors while i am trying. I am using a 32 bit labview, and have followed the instructions you had on the notepad file. Please help me if you have any insight on these errors,

Thanks.

Regards,

themadgreek

718123af-b18a-4168-9cb5-37bd93da206e.jpg

7b9cbb57-c942-48d8-b9a1-da9dd1290d2f.jpg

Contributors