From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Example Code

Radar Tools Library 1.0 - Signal Generation - Legacy

Products and Environment

This section reflects the products and operating system used to create the example.

To download NI software, including the products shown below, visit ni.com/downloads.

Hardware

• RF|Wireless

Software

• LabVIEW

Code and Documents

Attachment

Description

New Version Available with UI

Please note that a new version of the Radar Library is available with an improved UI, based on this library. As an updated version of this backend code is in the new package please use that one for new projects.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Radar-Pulse-Generator-Example-Program/ta-p/4028108?profile.lan...

Overview

A highly reusable, extendible architecture for radar signal generation, supporting script based waveform description.

Waveform Editor and Viewer.PNG

Features:

Baseband IQ waveforms (extendible waveform library, class hierarchy):

• Unmodulated Pulse
  • LFM: Slow-Chirp FMCW, Fast-Chirp FMCW
  • NLFM
  • Stepped FM
  • Barker Coded Pulse: BPSK

Impairments (extendible impairments library, class hierarchy)

• AWGN
  • Axis- and Vertical Shear IQ Impairment

Host Based Signal Generation:

• Simulation
  • Instrument Interface:
    • TDMS file (for streaming)
    • RFSG (script mode)

Documentation

Description

This example codebase of LabVIEW APIs aids radar design and prototyping.

API Examples:
Baseband Radar Waveform Generation: API for creating theoretical baseband IQ waveforms.
Radar Transmit Waveform Generation: API for creating impaired waveforms with transmitter parameters (supports scripting and viewing/debugging).
Transmit RDC Generation: API for creating the Transmit RDC (Radar Data Cube) with all associated parameters (supports scripting and viewing/debugging).
TX Instrument Plugin: API for generating TDMS files from the RDC Center Frequency, Bandwidth and Power optimized (for all waveforms on the RDC channels). Support for Streaming Playback (5644R, 5646R, 5840, USRP) with PRF and blanking.
RFSG Instrument Plugin: API for generating the waveforms of the RDC with an RFSG device using script mode.

Hardware and Software Requirements

LabVIEW 2017
Modulation Toolkit
RFSG 17.1
(optional: RFSA 17.1)

Update: version 1.0.0.3 will install for LV 2018+

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

Install the VI package with the examples included, using the VI Package Manager.

Additional Information or References

Including RF-SCOPE in the utilities for capturing  and analyzing the generated signal.

Main contributors:
Adam Cseh
Kornel Nagy

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
ylaya3
on

Hi, 

I am building radar using USRP 2940R implemented using LabVIEW. I am a beginner with LabVIEW and my problem is where to start?

I already done installing LabVIEW 2017, Modulation Toolkit, RFSG 17.1, and Radar Tools Library 1.0.0.2

I want to learn how to transmit signal using following radar modulation

• Unmodulated Pulse
  • LFM: Slow-Chirp FMCW, Fast-Chirp FMCW
  • NLFM
  • Stepped FM
  • Barker Coded Pulse: BPSK

But I dont know where to start? Any sample VI utilizing Radar Tools Library 1.0.0.2 and run the code to NI USRP 2940R?

I hope you can help me?

adamcseh
on

Hi ylaya3,

thanks for taking a look into this library.

If you would like to interface with hardware and actually generate the signals, I would recommend you to explore the RFSG instrument plugin and the associated examples. This should enable you to play out the waveforms on devices that are supported by the RFSG driver. Unfortunately, this will not work with the USRP as it uses a different driver and support for this was not implemented in the current version of the library.

The only easy way I can think of using USRP is through the TDMS file generation feature of the TX Instrument Plugin. This can be used to generate a file storing the waveforms to be played out and using this file with the shipping USRP streaming examples should work.

Sorry, if this is too dense, especially, if you are a beginner with LV. It might be difficult to understand everything, so I would recommend getting familiar with LV coding concepts first and maybe finding somebody, who could assist and teach you.

I hope, I was able to help.

Best Regards, Adam

ylaya3
on

hi ADAM,

I follow the this laboratory manual

Lab Manual.png

Then I am frustrated because there are no VI's for some of the steps specially in the radar......weeewwww. Specially when I could not find J2 RADAR v2.vi in this activity

1.PNG

Adam do you this J2 RADAR v2.VI? so that I can play along with the VI? I try to follow but steps, but theres something in the manual that are not elaborated clearly. 

I really frustrating and I feel I wasted a lot of money buying USRP 2940R for nothing, wew.....

Thanks in advance....

Radar Obsessed,

ylaya3