From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Example Code

Programmatically Obtain Modules Alias Names

Code and Documents

Attachment

Download All

Overview

We often give our devices some alias names in MAX so we can easily see the functionalities of them, for example we may name the PXI-4130 “SMU” and the PXI-5122 “Oscilloscope”. This example shows how we can programmatically return those alias names in LabVIEW.

Description

This code allows us to gather hardware information from a selected target and this target can be your host computer or any machine connected to the same network. The alias names of all the modules\cards located in the specific target will be returned in the end from the System Hardware Property Node.

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

1. Select the target that you want to read the alias name from.
  2. Run the code. Note: It may take around 30 seconds for the code to finish executing.
  3. All the alias names have been listed in the Device Alias Name List now.

Requirements

Software

LabVIEW 2010 or later

NI System Configuration Runtime 5.5

Hardware

None

Additional Images or Video

Alias Names.png

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
BretRidgel42
on

I am trying to do this as well and this works, but it doesn't seem to update unless I go into NIMAX and expand out the devices so it refreshes.  Otherwise if I tur a piece of equipment off, it still shows active with this call.  Is there some way to force it to update/refresh this?

Contributors