Example Code

5791 Record and Playback to HDD

Code and Documents

Attachment

Overview

This example is a modification of the shipped 579x project that allows a 5791 to perform record and playback.

Essentially the starting project is merged with the High Throughput example for the VST here : https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-26426

Description

Starting from the 579x project, this example extends the system to perform record and playback.

The 7966R and the 7975R are subtly different, using different CLIPS - the 7975R uses the latest CLIP - the only difference is in the naming of the sample clock (or data clock) and the x2 variants.

Compiling the 7975R also includes the PCIe interface in the background, so this compilation will take longer than for the 7966R version.

Steps to Implement or Execute Code

1. Run LabVIEW 2014 as Adminsitrator (create a shortcut to LabVIEW and right click it, selecting run as administrator) - this is because the TDMS uses a preallocate file size without writing to the file and that requires full administrator access.
  2. Open the project
  3. Open the Rx or the Tx (you'll need a recording before you can playback anyway, so start with the Rx
  4. In either case, set the file name, the centre frequency, expected or output power level and sample rate.
  5. For Rx, set the number of samples to acquire (e.g. at 80MS/s, 640MS is 8 seconds)
  6. Run the VI.
  7. Based on the bandwidth of the signal, the raw information is captured to HDD, for example an 80MS/s capture will require a RAID array capable of running at 320MB/s for as long as you need it to

Requirements

Software

LabVIEW 2014

Hardware

7975R with a 5791 or a 7966R. (Other FlexRIO modules are available, however the speed that the 5791 can run at makes compiling for other targets more difficult. Recommend the 7962R, and the 7976R as alternatives.

Additional Images or Video

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
ThomasKeyser
on

Hi,

I've used this code without the "Record and Playback feature", so I just transmit data from one device to another. Is it possible to realize multi channel support? So that I can transmit messages e.g. on 2 channels after each other in a specific timing?

greets

Thomas

Contributors