Example Code

User Tracking with LabVIEW and Kinect based on the OpenNI Interface

Code and Documents

Attachment

TestTracking front panel.png

I found a way to get the user recognition to work in  LabVIEW using Microsoft Kinect. It is based on the OpenNI interface with PrimeSense  middleware components and drivers. A short video presenting some of the  features is available:

To get it working, you will need to install the  previously named components. For an optimal use of the functions, it is better  to have NI Vision in addition to LabVIEW 2010 SP1 (or higher), although all data  can be read and used in numeric form, allowing its use by people not owing an  NI Vision license.

I -  Installation

You will need to download the following files in order  for it to function:

[1] The Kinect Drivers compatible with PrimeSense: https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect

[2] OpenNI latest installation file: http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/opennimodules/openni-binaries/20-latest-unstable

[3] PrimeSense NITE Middleware installation file: http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/opennimodules/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/33-latest-uns...

[4] PrimeSense Sensor installation file:

http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/opennimodules/openni-compliant-hardware-binaries/31-latest-unsta...

/!\ Note that OpenNI drivers can theoretically not be  installed while the official Kinect SDK drivers are. You can try to get both  working together looking at this  discussion in the OpenNI discussion Group, but it seems that the  method does not always work. If not, you will need to remove the Kinect SDK  Drivers before installing the OpenNI ones.

* Assuming you have the Kinect device plugged in and  that you have no drivers installed on your computer, unzip the file downloaded  in [1] and then change to the device manager. You should only see the Kinect  motor as unknown device. You can manually look for its drivers in <path to the [1] unzipped  folder>\Platform\Win32\Driver\. I could only test on x86 systems, thus I  do not know if it works on x64 systems as well. Repeat the process for Kinect  Camera and Kinect Audio once they appear. At the end it should look like the  following:   primesense drivers.png * Now install OpenNI (file downloaded in [2]). This is  a simple Microsoft installer.

* Repeat the process with the PrimeSense files  downloaded in [3] and [4].

* Once those steps are completed, install the  PrimeSense Sensor interface for Kinect. It can be found under <path to the [1] unzipped folder>\Bin\.  This again, is a simple msi file.

* To verify if the installation has been successfully  completed, try to run some of the OpenNI examples. The default path to them is C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Samples\Bin\Release\.  You can run NiSimpleViewer.exe which displays the depth information of the depth  sensor or NiUserTracker.exe which allows testing the user tracking. The  calibration is done taking a pose looking like the Greek letter PSI as shown in  the picture below.

openni pose.png   

* Finally, try the UserTracker.net.exe from the same  folder to verify that the .NET assemblies have been correctly installed, as  they will be used in LabVIEW.

If those examples do not work, it can either mean  there is a conflict with another driver, that the installation has not been successful  or that you have a graphic card that is too old/you have an integrated graphic  chip (it does not work with all of them).

II – Tracking  Users in LabVIEW

Now that the device seems to be working with OpenNI,  you can try to make it work with LabVIEW. The project I did can be downloaded  at the bottom of this document. Extract it somewhere and open Kinect  Wrapper.lvproj.

project.png The important parts of the project are the Examples  and Functions folders. In the Example folder you can find ready-to-use VIs that  are programmed with the ones from the Functions folder.

icon_testdepth.png TestDepth.vi: This VI allows easy testing of  the depth sensor of the camera. It returns the middle point of the depth image.  You can just move away or wave in front of it to see it move. Note that the  sensor can do distance measurements starting from 50cm only.

icon_testmap.png TestMap.vi: This VI gets the depth map and  displays it in a 3D graph. It runs slowly because of the 3D graph which needs  time to display its 640*480 points. If you own NI Vision, it can be replaced by  DisplayDepth.vi for better performance.

icon_testimage.png TestImage.vi: Returns the image of the  Kinect’s camera. Requires NI Vision.

icon_trackmultipleusers.png TestMultipleUserTracking.vi: The example where  the tracking is shown. You will need NI Vision if you want to visualize the  tracking. If you do not have it, the data should still be available but not for  visualization. You will then have to delete the variable_image.vi.

Note: This is all based on OpenNI .NET Assembly. It  means it should also theoretically work with Asus Xtion instead of Kinect. I  could not try as I do not own the device. If somebody tries it, please let me  have your feedback.

Overview of one of the VI (clic to enlarge):

Bloc Diagramm.png

Example code from the Example Code Exchange in the NI Community is licensed with the MIT license.

Comments
kirans
on

It seems to be a great acheivement! However i followed the steps and tried running it,but it shows some dll files missing,and locating these dll files doesn't help as it says files have been moved or deleted...

I exactly want to record the numerical data from the skeleton movement and these process seems like its a great help.

k29786594
on

How to use this sample connect robuilder

faiz_djufri
on

sorry sir, i use openNI2 and NITE2. When try  to run one example . The program asked me to open some file but i can't find it. Here's the capturesopenni.png

Could you help me ?

Thanks for your attention

Jansen_Palafox
on

Is openni.org not a working website anymore?

pujja
on

hi Naity, Thanks for the information i have learnt manything from ur blog, but i m having trouble to download them, the above download links are expired, can u recheck those links for me, or can u mail me plz to  rihansrk@gmail.com.

Thank you

RIHAN

WafaZak
on

Hi, can anyone tell me how toset up the Kinect in Labview please? whatever I do, it's not working I want to start a project but without this first step there will be no project 😕 BTW happy to see you advanced

Naity
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi Wafazak,

this is quite outdated, it was from before the official API was released by Microsoft. There is a great API that work with the official drivers. I can only advise you to check it: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210938

And it is free

on

Hi there :)Thank you very much for replying!Actually, I did make it work and the Kinesthesia Toolkit for Microsoft Kinect was my first exemple to test, it's working well!

Than you again.

Wafa AYAD

Email : wafa.ayad@outlook.com

Tél : (+33)7 51 20 15 49

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 04:12:40 -0500

To: wafa.ayad@outlook.com

Subject: Re: - User Tracking with LabVIEW and Kinect based on the OpenNI Interface

NI Community

User Tracking with LabVIEW and Kinect based on the OpenNI Interface

new comment by Naity View all comments on this document

Hi Wafazak,

this is quite outdated, it was from before the official API was released by Microsoft. There is a great API that work with the official drivers. I can only advise you to check it: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210938

And it is free

Reply to this email to respond to Naity's comment.

Contributors