Enhanced Icon Editor

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the old timers, Old Color chooser

Being colorblind, ever since the color chooser was changed to utilzie the entire color spectrum, I have had a very difficult time with the color chooser, and yes being completely color blind has its challenges anyway.  Any chance someone could resurrect the old color chooser (circa labview 4ish) so it could be implemented or chosen as an option in the color chooser?  If someone can post the code or email it to me, I will play with integration.  Currently I only have labview 2009 installed, so I guess the code needs to be in 7+.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(10,230 Views)

Paul Sullivan has one (http://www.sullutions.com/LabVIEW.html) but I am not sure which version it is written with.

Have a look.

PJM

vipm.io | jki.net

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,368 Views)

Thanks for the plug, PJM. The old one was 6.02 and I've just updated it to 8.5.

PJS, hope it helps. I never realized that it might be of use to the colorblind.

SULLutions.com
...when a single discipline is not enough
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,368 Views)

OK, Revision 1 is attached and works well on my system (Windoze XP).  Response is pretty good and I did not observe any erroneous colors.  Thanks to Paul Sullivan for allowing me to use his color chooser VI for the color renderings.

Installation: totally manual after extracting the ZIP file.

1. The text file gives the file names and where to put them
  2. It is recommended that you backup the files before you overwrite them, so if you want to go back it is easy to do
  3. After the file copy, you will need to open the icon editor, which will recompile the VI and then save changes

Known Bugs:  None, Not that they are not in there.  I just have not encountered on this revision.  Let me know what you find... If you dare!

Could be done differently/Wish List:

1. Rather than use the justify setting, read the max width (height) of the screen and slide the basic color picker accordingly
  2. Display the color that the mouse is hovering over
  3. Using the tip strip (or similiar convention), display the RGB contents of the color under the mouse
  4. Make it easier to switch between the basic and normal color pickers (without having to go to preferences)
  5. In addition to the History, add a favorites and most used colors

Observations during development:

1. I had to set the window size twice.  The first time is prior to the window opening, and the second time, just after the window opens because the right and bottom sides, more often than not, did not size correctly.  This maybe related to the run-time position settings.  I did not spend a whole lot of time debugging it.
  2. I had wanted to pick the color on Mouse Up, so that if the user pushes the mouse down, but decides to pick a different color at the last second, they could.  But the Mouse Up event was firing immediately upon launching the color chooser which rendered it useless.  I suppose I could have added special handling of the mouse up during launch, but decided to go ahead and publish it, get feedback and then maybe revisit it for Rev 2.

Conditions of Use: I hate to put this in here, but I want it to be clear

They are in the VI description for every VI ADDED for this.  In a nutshell, this is open source and usage is Open to anyone for any reason except where it is incorporated or utilized for anything that 'takes Ownership' of these VIs.  The IP and software ownership is NOT being conveyed in part or in full to any developers incorporating it into anything that restricts its usage in ANY way.  The source code behind this addition, is to be given IN FULL with the existing terms of usage to any developer, end user or customer that receives your source code.  It does not get yanked into the IP or catagory of your reuse libraries that are not transferred to customers OR incorporated into any mechanism or delivery system that CAN or DOES restrict access to it.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,368 Views)
...I had wanted to pick the color on Mouse Up, so that if the user pushes the mouse down, but decides to pick a different color at the last second, they could.  But the Mouse Up event was firing immediately upon launching the color chooser which rendered it useless...

I often use the Mouse Down event to activate a Mouse Move event case (set a boolean in a shift register and only process the Mouse Move or, in your case, Mouse Up when that boolean is true and clear it in the Mouse Up case). Will that work for you?

SULLutions.com
...when a single discipline is not enough
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,368 Views)

It might.  Once I get some more feedback (if any).  I will consider further modifications.  Including this one. We will just have to see.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,368 Views)

Dear PJS,

I really like the color picker you implemented. I does not make much sense to use any color that is not on this picker since it cannot be used in an icon anyway (save your vi, open the icon editor: your color has been coreced...).

I have installed your new and modified file in LabView 2010 (SP1) and the settings dialog does not display the Color Chooser in the tree control on the left - making it impossible to activcate the old-style color picker.

BUGFIX: I have included the vi that needs to be modified (<resource>\plugins\NIIconEditor\User Dialogs\SubVIs\Initialize_IconEditorSettings_Tree.vi) in order to display the new options category.

Note: the vi is saved in LV2010 format.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,368 Views)