From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Enhanced Icon Editor

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing VI Documentation with Icon Editor (for LV12)

With this modified and new VIs, the VI documentation can be edited in a separate tab page in the Icon Editor. I hope this will motivate writing documentation for your VIs.

Known limitations

• Undo and Redo leave out the documentation elements
    • At least it does this consequently

Installation

• open the LabVIEW directory "%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/resources/plugins"
  • (optional) backup the original file "lv_icon.lvlibp" by moving it into a new directory ("lv_icon_orig/"):
  • extract the file in the zip file "lv_icon packed *.zip" in the directory
  • The modified Icon Editor should pop up now when you edit a VI in LabVIEW 2012

If this does not work do the Installation for Development (see below)

Installation for Development

• Install the source of the Icon Editor as described here: Icon Editor Source Code for LabVIEW 2012
  • open the LabVIEW directory "%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012"
  • (optional) backup the original files by moving this files into a new directory ("lv_icon_orig/"): 
    • "lv_icon.vi", "lv_icon.lvproj", "NIIconEditor/Controls/References Cluster.ctl",  "NIIconEditor/Miscellaneous/Menubar/ShowLayersPalette.vi"
  • extract the files in this zip file in the LabVIEW directory ("%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012") 
    • This wil place some files in "resources/plugins/".
    • only the files mentioned to backup are overwritten
  • The LabVIEW Project containing the Icon Editor VIs is this one: "resources/plugins/lv_icon.lvproj"

Links

Initial discussion and discussing development: Suggestion: Edit Documentation form Icon Editor

Original Idea in LabVIEW Idea Exchange: Icon Editor with VI Documentation

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(10,422 Views)

How this looks:

Icon Editor - VI Documentation Editing.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,473 Views)

Hey shb,

I am the orignal poster for the idea exchange idea. I am excited someone else is intersted in this. I looked at doing this myself but didn't have any time to work no it currently. I did try downloading you code but it seems like "lv_doc_edit.lvlib" is missing from the zip. I would also like to help you make a compiled version of the icon editor for easier installation.

Let me know when you get that file added to the zip.

Thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,473 Views)

Right...

The lv_doc_edit.lvlib is included now.

As the best method for distributing I see a VIPM package. But I do not known how to build one which replaces NI VIs. (And undoes this changes when being removed.)

Greetings,

shb

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,473 Views)

Changes in V2:

Correct tab page is shown or hidden

Instruction for normal installation is corrected,

packed version for normal installation will follow when I know how to append a 2nd document

changed source files:

added changed file "ShowLayersPalette.vi"

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,473 Views)

Has this (very useful) idea been incorporated into more recent versions of the Icon Editor?  I notice that there are Source Distributions for Icon Editor 2013, 2014, and 2015 (and, soon, 2016?) -- have these incorporated the Documentation Edit feature?  If not, how difficult would it be to "port forward"?  [I fear to examine the code too closely ...]

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,473 Views)

This feature has not been added to any current versions of LabVIEW as of

2015. I do believe this could be added to any of them but I have not tried

recently as we are using a different documentation tool now.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,473 Views)