Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 4472 and 2-slot Magma pci expansion

I am trying to config a system that consists of a laptop(IBM ThinkPad, running Window 2000), a Magma 2 slot expansion and a National Instruments NI PCI 4472 card.
I am using LabView 7 Express, Max 3.0, NI DAQ 7.0.

After I install the Magma driver, I can see the NI 4472 in "Device manager" with a yellow exclamation point, the error is "cannot start the device".

If I remove the NI 4472, the Magma chassis APPEARS working fine (I mean, there is no a yellow exclamation point in the device manager). I tested the 4472 card on a desktop computer, it works fine as well.

I contacted Magma, and was told that old drivers may work. I tried NI DAQ 6.9.3, but it did not work either.

I used that Magma chassis before with a Dell la
ptop running Windows 98, it worked fine.

Does any one have any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks.

Ian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(8,510 Views)
It may well be the IBM laptop. Does the IBM have the Texas Instrument controllers (a requirement) for the PCMCIA bus, or, does it use proprietary drivers? In eight years of notebook based DAQ, I have never been able to get consistent performance from any IBM notebook interface (serial, parallel,USB, or PCMCIA). Our IT (information technologies) people claim that IBM does not always use industry-standard device drivers.

Often times, trying to set up a diagnostic process literally means taking one step at a time to isolate the fault. Since the 4472 worked on the desktop, ask what was the OS (2000, XP), what version of LabVIEW, what version of NI DAQ?

I have been using a 4472 in a Magma chassis with a Dell Latitude C840 with NI-DAQ 6.9.3 ,LabVIEW 6.1, and Win2K w
ith full bandwidth capabilities for almost a year. At the very least, LabVIEW 6.1 and Win2k should pose few problems. As the 4472 works on the desktop, that should not be part of the problem.

You could try to put a modem card in the Magma chassis with the IBM notebook. If the modem (or some other "cheap and simple" PCI device) fails to work, you can narrow the problem to the either the IBM PCMCIA bus or the installation of the MAGMA drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(8,508 Views)
I fought the same problem last week. I have a PCI-4474 and PCI-6601 installed in a Magma CB-232 connected to a Fujitsu 3010D Lifebook running Windows XP Tablet XP. They work OK with NI-DAQ 6.93 but 7.1 produces "device won't start" error messages.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(8,508 Views)
This is an issue with NI DAQ 7.0 and 7.1, however, I'm pleased to tell you that I have just tested the Magma 2 slot expansion with NI DAQ 7.2, and the problem has been resolved. NI DAQ 7.2 is currently in the final stages of Beta testing, and while there is no official release date, I would expect to see it on the web site by the end of April/ beginning of May. Until then, the only work-around is to use 6.9.3 or earlier.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(8,508 Views)
I have also received a patch program "ni-cdu180a10.exe" from a Magma engineer. It fixed the problem with NI DAQ 7.0.

I really appreciate the help from all your guys.

Regards

Ian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(8,508 Views)
NI-PAL, a low level NI hardware driver, plays a roll in interaction with hardware housed in a Magma chassis. NI does not offer an PAL installer as a standalone download. However, the latest shipping version of PAL is installed when you upgrade your GPIB software (this applies whether or not you actually use a GPIB device).

I would suggest downloading the latest GPIB installer at:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/3D536368FAF409A086256D3400650632?opendocument&node=132050_US

Bryan
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(8,508 Views)
I tried the GPIB installer with 7.1 and it didn't work. 6.93 works. You might check the other thread on this topic that I can't pullup because of forum problems. Apparently, there's a problem with 7.0 and 7.1 that is supposed to be fixed in 7.2.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(8,509 Views)
Hi, Bryan

I think NI now has a patch program "ni-cdu180a10.exe." that can fix the particular problem of NI-DAQ/NI-PAL 7.0 or 7.1.

I got it from a Magma engineer who got it from one of your application engineers, James Collins.

Regards

Ian Ren
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(8,508 Views)
ni-cdu180a10.exe also fixed my problem with 7.1.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(8,508 Views)
Nidaq 7.2 works on my laptop which 7.0 and 7.1 did not.
Message 10 of 12
(8,172 Views)