cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing X-Series 6361 USB

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I need to install a NI X-Series 6361 USB and I would like to know if this device does require an external power alimentation, because it is mentionned in the DAQmx manual that it depends on the device used but I can't find that piece of info anywhere in my case.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(9,217 Views)

The USB 6361 comes with an external power supply which is how you power the device.  Is that what you mean?

forgive me, I'm a software guy 😮

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,214 Views)

Yes, I think you're right but I was not sure if plugging it was compulsory. Now I think it is, thanks.

I have a more specific question: the manual indicates that the chassis of the 6361 must be grounded. I use a NRSE (Non-referenced single ended) channel with a ground-referenced source, so I can't understand the utility of this chassis ground. Is it just a security measure in case of a static electrical choc that could damage the device or is it for some other reason?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(9,210 Views)
Solution
Accepted by maggotsBrain

Yeah, like the manual says "For EMC Compliance"...

USB devices have to have a separate connection for this since they do not ground themselves directly from the power plug... (and they do not inherit device grounding from a chassis, like PXI, or from the computer, like PCI)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(9,203 Views)

And would you know a way to do this properly, so that it does not look unprofessional?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(9,199 Views)

My only suggestion would be to connect to another earth grounded device, if you have one, in your system. (something that has a earth ground screw and has a three-prong connection to the US wall outlet).

Does anyone else have a better solution?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(9,193 Views)

I just do not understand why I have to ground it because it should already be through the power supply cable. If not, why isn't it? I am a bit confused.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(9,183 Views)

Hi maggotsBrain,

I believe the power supply for the USB-6361 only has 2 prongs.  If this is the case, the chassis is not grounded via the power cable and should be manually grounded based on the User Manual instructions to ensure the device complies to EMC standards.

Regards,

Jared R.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(9,170 Views)

Hi JaredRo

I've been dealing with similar problem right now, and I've checked electric connection between the mains cord and the DC wire, and there is connection between mains ground and "C" signed prong. This doesn't mean, that card is grounded?

Regards,

Xaarc

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,299 Views)

Hi Xaarc,

It may be best to post this in a new thread, older threads tend not to get as much attention and less forum users see them. Also, as mentioned earlier in the forum the 2 prong power supplied X-Series 6361 do need to be grounded manually to comply to EMC standards.

Evan See
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(8,262 Views)