From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Generation and Acquisition with Internal Trigger using LV

Good morning!

My experience is limited within the digital programming environment; nevertheless, I have been working on this issue for a couple of days and would appreciate some feedback if possible.

I am simply trying to generate and acquire an 8 MHz 50% duty cycle TTL pulse train on one DIO pin of the PCI-6541, and acquire back the signal on another DIO pin. I have a mating connector to the VHDCI 6541 on-board connector which obviously has the DIO generating and acquisition pins soldered to provide a loopback effect.

In short, I am using the niHSDIO Configure Trigger VI (instance--> Start Trig: SW), niHSDIO Send Software Edge Trigger VI, and Write Named Waveform VI (instance--> Data: 1D U32) in the generation section. For the acquisition section, in short, I am using the niHSDIO Fetch Waveform VI (instance--> Single Record: WDT).

I am seeing results in the acquired waveform showing the generated and acquired digital TTL pulse train on the respective DIO pins, but I can't seem to obtain my frequency requirement of 8 MHz. Also, the lower the DIO pin allocation, the higher the frequency. Unfortunately, due to system requirements, I am bounded to pin DIO 12 for the digital pulse generation. Even with a clock rate of 50 MHz, I'm getting ~6 kHz max frequency acquired. I looked into changing the parameters of the Write Named Waveform VI, but it's not possible since the VI calls a library function node. I also tried generating an 8 MHz waveform via a Digital Pattern Generator VI, but I don't believe you can trigger on generated waveforms? It appears that you have to generate the data by using a simple For Loop as a counter and sending the output to the Write Named Waveform VI. Is there other possible ways I can simply generate and acquire an 8 MHz TTL digital signal (no external connections)?

At any rate, any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,061 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,060 Views)