From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquiring from output audio jack

I'm trying to acquire an audio signal from the output jack of a continuous wave ultrasound machine to do spectral analysis. I can't figure out how to set up the hardware and get sensible numbers. If I hook one of the ear piece and ground terminals from the audio jack output into the terminals of a cdaq-9178 using a 9215 module, I get this -10V measurement like an open circuit, which I suppose makes sense if the circuit is designed to have an output load. I then tried to measure across a 50ohm resister, which is a typical headphone resistance, and I get zero.

I tried the continuous sound input vi, which utilizes the sound card and mic input and it works, but it drops samples when running a while loop. It the audio inputs do not have the same DAQmx features that allow you to search the buffer and whatnot to ensure you don't drop samples. I put a "high resolution seconds" to verify the timing and indeed it seems to be refreshing at an inconsistent rate (dropping samples between iterations of the loop). For my spectral analysis I need a continuous measurement that could span between consecutive acquisitions, so I need a continuously sampled waveform.

I'm kind of at my wits' end. Is there a better way to ensure I don't drop samples using the built in audio functions? Is there a better way to set up the hardware acquisition to use DAQmx? I can't find any information about using a daq with the output audio jack of a device anywhere. Anything that mentions acquiring audio uses the sound input VI's (that use the sound card) and drop samples between acquisitions... 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,635 Views)

For anyone wondering, I got the DAQmx to work by passing the ultrasound output audio jack into the input jack of an externally powered speaker and measured the speaker's output jack across a resister.

Message 2 of 3
(3,591 Views)

Thanks for sharing your workaround to this!

Claire M.
Technical Support
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,573 Views)