From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Series support update?

Hello,

Last November there was a post in this forum about future support for the X-Series boards in the DDK:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=90&thread.id=1590&page=1

About six months later, I am wondering if there is any projected timeline for this.

thanks very much, 

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(8,689 Views)

Hello Steve,

At this point in time, there is no definite timeline on the release of X-Series support in the DDK. It is currently still being worked on by our R&D team. I would keep an eye on the release notes of future releases of the DDK to verify the support. 

Raj
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(8,670 Views)
Okay, thanks for the info.  I'll keep watching for it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(8,656 Views)

It's been nearly another year without the X series boards being supported in the DDK.  At least the description still doesn't include X series.  I didn't download it again to check in detail.

We have an M series driver, but not an X series driver in our product.  Lately our customers have been told by NI sales that they should start buying the X series boards instead of the M series boards.  That won't work until we can get the register programming information for the new boards.  Since our real-time kernel isn't Windows or Linux, we can't use any of your binary drivers.

When might we see some new information?

Message 4 of 20
(7,921 Views)

Hi Gordon,

I'm one of the engineers currently working on the X Series DDK project. The code is nearly feature-complete, and we're also polishing the documentation. The X Series DDK will be, what I hope you and others will find, a significant improvement over the M Series DDK. Concerted effort accross several groups is now becoming a very detail-rich code and documentation package.

Finally, the part you've been wanting me to say: we're anticipating a May release 🙂

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 5 of 20
(7,904 Views)

Joe,

Thanks for the update.  I hope to see it in May and begin my work with it.

Gordon Weast

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(7,891 Views)

Hi Joe,

As May is getting closer, I have been successful in using the M series package and creating a driver using Labview.  We have plans to use a Pcie-6323 on Linux.  Are we on pace for a release in May?  and also, how much different is this package in comparison to the M series package?

Another side question, are there version numbers to these packages?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(7,685 Views)

Hi Thomas,

I'm glad to year you have LabVIEW RLP working for your M Series devices!

The X Series devices use different ASICs than the M Series devices, so the register interface will be different. The design of the chip objects is the same, however, and register classes still have get/set and read/write methods for their bitfields. The differences are in the silicon 😉 You'll see a new DMA controller and some renovated counter objects, but AI and AO will be largely unchanged. Finally, DIO now looks nearly identical to AI/AO. The good news is is that the register space is completely linear and available -- no more windowing around 😄

As far as the distribution goes, there will be examples and a plain-text register map. Also, there will be theory-of-operation documentation, a somewhat lacking piece for M Series (although the E Series RLP manual does cover 90% of M Series programming). I like the suggestion of versioning the releases, but the precedence so far has been a one time initial release online with subsequent clarifications/additions here in the forums. I'll see what I can do.

The examples are feature-complete and are undergoing testing now. I've found a few bugs to fix, and am still reviewing the documentation. I would say that we're still on pace for a May release 🙂

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(7,666 Views)

Hi Joe,

It is now May, and I'm hoping you might have an update for us anxious coders?

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(7,575 Views)

Steve, Gordon, Thomas, et al: (I hope there's a larger audience than three 😉

I do have an update! Example testing is complete. The DDK is still on pace to release this month. Here's what's remaining:

1. Final documentation review (there's a shiny new 300+ page manual!). I'm currenlty half-way through.
  2. There are two outstanding bugs that need to be fixed.
  3. There are several bug fixes to verify as fixed. In case you were wondering, I intend to validate these on 64-bit Linux 😉

Once those are finished, the DDK is at the mercy of the web admins for posting for download. Still no word on versioning the components. I suspect that discussion will happen when we request the download page update.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Message 10 of 20
(7,557 Views)