Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6115 Register Level Programming

Background:

We are using custom drivers that seem to work well on the PCI-6110 but not the PCI-6115. It is my understanding that the hardware between the two is very similar with just larger memory and faster FIFO on the latter.

These drivers were developed for a very complex applications that have worked well on PCI-60701E and PCI-6031. We are trying to update the system for faster data streams and recently acquired new NI PCI-6115 cards. What information can I obtain about the register set for this card to help me resolve the issues I am seeing?

Outstanding Questions:

- What are the register differences between PCI 6110 and PCI 6115?
- Why would these cards both report 0x40000 for the MITE FIFO register at 0x40 despite different register sizes?
- What is the FIFO size for the above cards?

- Is there a register level programming manual for the PCI-6115? Any information about MITE programming?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,749 Views)

Hi,

The PCI-6110 and the PCI-6115 are actually quite architecturally different. You likely won't have success porting code from the 6110 to the 6115. We don't have a DDK for the 6115 and do not have any plans at this time.

Steven

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,726 Views)

OK.  Can  you provide a register level programming manual for the PCI-6115?  Can you describe what is different?

Currently using the PCI-6110 driver I have I can get the card to communicate with Linux and read its' registers.  What exactly is different?

-thanks

michael

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,718 Views)

Hey garlie,

Unfortunately, we do not have a DDK for the PCI-6115 to provide. Like I mentioned before, the architecture is different between the two cards, so the RLP code is not portable between them.

Steven.

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,710 Views)

So what are my options for using the PCI-6115 on a 64 Bit linux system with a custom application?  We can not use Labview.  I need to create a custom application that calls this card via an API in a streaming mode to retrieve continuous data.  This is extremely disappointing since I was told 2 weeks ago by NI that this card was the same internally as the PCI-6110 but faster and with a larger FIFO.  I already have a 10 year old application that works fine with other NI MITE based cards, (6071E, 6033...).  I just need the faster speed now.

-thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,704 Views)